Chapter 1

Shay-z's POV:

I flew up into the air faster than a cheetah trying to catch its prey. I blasted several rocks with a powerful Kai Blast before wiping the sweat from my forehead. I stayed in the air for a moment, resting in the small breeze.

I was in the desert practicing like I usually did on Saturdays. I was almost finished training for the day, and was pretty wiped out. I let myself fall until I was a few feet away from the ground before I caught myself and flew down the rest of the way.

The only thing left for me to do was try my original attack I'd been working on for a few months. I put my hands in front of me, almost like I was blocking, and then screamed, "Scissor Attack!" before bringing my arms around to behind me. Energy flew from my fingertips, and destroyed everything around me.

I looked around to see the damage I'd done. Everything had been reduced to rubble.

I'd known I was powerful. I'd been on my own and training for close to twelve years now. My family was murdered when I was four. I escaped with a severe cut across my forehead, which I treated myself, not trusting anyone to come near me. I learned how to survive on my own quickly. I still had a horizontal white line that went almost halfway across my face. I now lived in a small forest not far from the perimeter of the desert. A quick ten mile flight, which isn't that big of a deal to me, but when people find out I'm homeless, they would either start asking me stupid and pointless questions, give me their sympathy, or try to call someone to put me in an orphanage where they say I belong. I wouldn't be surprised if they had orphanage wanted posters all over town with my face on them.

I found a cactus, cut it in half, and drank the water that was inside. I then found a rock and sat on it, enjoying the sun's rays.

I stayed like that for about half an hour, just tanning. Then I saw the position of the sun. It was getting late. I stood and flew straight up about one hundred feet. I looked down at the desert one last time for the day, knowing I would half to find a new place to practice next week. Tomorrow, I was going to go fishing in a river that passed through the forest I lived in.

During my last survey of the area, I saw something sitting on a rock. I lowered myself about twenty feet to get a better look at the strange thing. It had black spiky hair, orange clothes, and was smiling at me.

It was a person. I wanted to fly away as fast as I could. I still don't like people that much. I only tolerated them when I had to buy something. Or steal it, in most cases. I have to do what I have to do in order to survive, right?

He was waving me toward him now, which made me want to fly away even more, but he looked nicer than others somehow, and I was interested on why he wanted me to come down. I descended another twenty feet.

He was yelling to me now. "Hey! I saw you training! That attack was amazing!"

He seemed friendly. He was giving me a compliment, which meant something about his personality was good, right? I descended ten feet.

Now fifty feet above him, I could see his warm and friendly smile. It was a true smile, not like the fake ones on the faces of my parent's killers. I could tell he had a friendly and kind nature, I lowered myself forty feet.

"Hi!" he said smiling. "I'm Goku. That was a pretty powerful attack. I'm glad I got out of the way before it hit where I was!"

"So you were watching me?" I asked cautiously, ascending a few inches. Goku nodded. "Stalker," I muttered.

Goku laughed. "So what's your name?"

"Shay-z," I said quietly.

"Nice to meet you, Shay," he said, extending his hand.

I smiled to myself at the nickname. I hadn't been called Shay since the day my parents were killed. I lowered myself to the ground and took his hand carefully. His smile grew as he shook my hand gently. I smiled back at him, which was probably the first time I'd smiled in a month.

Still holding my hand, he flew upward a few inches. I was a little surprised, considering most people I knew couldn't jump six inches off the ground. But I had heard of these people that can fly and saved the world multiple times. I looked up to them. Maybe he was one of them.

"Are you on your own?" Goku asked, looking around.

I nodded. "I have been ever since I can remember." That was a lie. I could still remember the day my parents were killed as if it had happened yesterday.

"Well, why don't you come with me?" he offered. "I'll introduce you to everyone!"

"I-I don't know...." I said uncertainly.

"Oh, come on," Goku pried, pulling me up into the air with him. "It'll fun!"

"A-alright," I said quietly.

Goku yelled his excitement and started pulling me upward.

"Um," I said. "Can I have my hand back?"

Goku looked as if he'd forgotten he was still holding my hand. "Oh yeah, hehe, sorry," he said, letting go of my hand.

He flew up and I followed him, nervous about meeting more new people. Wasn't one person enough for one day?