Chapter 9

*Alyssa's POV*

I felt a small smile tug at my lips when I saw the familiar, sleek, black car roll up to the side of VS Headquarters. The car stopped and I rolled my eyes when the passenger side window rolled down. I bent down and shook my head at Harry. "Need a ride, lil lady?"
I rolled my eyes at him again, but opened the door anyways. "You're such an idiot," I laughed, closing the door once I got in.

Harry shrugged and took off before I could get my seatbelt on. "Meh. You love me anyways."

"How'd you know I needed picked up?" I ignored his debatable comment.

"Texted El. I had just dropped Niall off at the airport and since it wasn't far away, I figured I'd surprise you and see if you needed a ride." He stopped at a red light and looked at me. "Speaking of surprises," I furrowed my brows when Harry reached into his back seats, "these are for you." I gasped at the pretty bouquet of pink roses he was holding out to me. "Happy birthday!"

"Harry!" I squealed, excitedly taking them from his hands. "These are my favorite flowers! How'd you know?"

Harry chuckled and put his foot back onto the gas when the light turned green. "I didn't know until two seconds ago."

"Harry, this is so sweet," I gushed as I shoved my nose back into the bouquet. "My birthday isn't even until tomorrow. You shouldn't have."

Harry laughed again, only it sounded forced. "Yeah," he took one hand off the wheel to scratch his scalp under his long, curly hair, "I shouldn't have."

The rest of the ride was full of comfortable and casual conversation, which after my day, I didn't mind one bit. I had to deal with annoying airheads with RBF all night and a new Brazilian girl by the name of Sabrina with orange skin and mile-long lashes. I was begging to get out of there by the end of the night.

"Thanks for bringing me home, Harry." I told him as he pulled up beside Cole's apartment. "And thank you for the flowers even though you could have dropped them off tomorrow. I'm glad you didn't, though, because they made my night." I laughed and Harry pressed his lips together in a firm line.

"Yup. Don't mention it, Ally. I'm always here to give you a ride if you need it." Something in his voice sounded off. I couldn't quite place my finger on what it was though.

"Are you okay Harry?"

"What?" For a split second his eyes left the road and met mine. "Yeah. I'm fine. It's just- been a long day and I didn't get much sleep." He laughed. "Yeah Niall- that kid doesn't sleep, lemme tell you. He kept talking and kept me up all night." He laughed again and shook his head as if I didn't know what he meant. I did. "He's a crazy guy. Good guy- but crazy."

I pursed my lips and nodded my head. He had only said a few things about Niall, but I really didn't want to talk about him anymore, so I just told Harry, "Yup. Good old Niall." When it fell awkwardly silent in Harry's expensive sports car, I took it as my cue to leave. "Well," I said, "thanks again for taking me home, Harry."

"It's no problem."

"I should probably get inside now. You know, before Cole flips out and calls me to ask where I am." I laughed hoping it would make the weird feeling in the car dissipate and cease to exist, but when Harry didn't laugh along, I decided it was time to go.

Right as I reached for the handle, I felt Harry's hand on my bicep. "Before you do, though," Harry said, "may I ask you something?"