Haunting Nights

And yet again, here I am.

Awake at one in the morning and completely unable to fall back asleep despite my efforts. Feeling completely exhausted, yet my brain refusing to relax once I place my head on the pillow.

It's a nightmare. That boy I saw the night before, being trapped on this island. It makes me sick to my stomach, aching to just be able to relax and sleep. Meeting Hajime was the only actually good thing to come out of being here.

And yet again, I am brought to my feet. Even despite the events of the night before, I still want to go out there. I want to see Hajime, even if it's him as Izuru. But is it really alright for me to go?

Unsure of what to do, I lazily began wandering around the cabin. The walls felt like they were closing in on me, like I was trapped. This isn't good enough, I thought. I needed to get out.

So yet again I am left to wander under the moonlight. Avoiding the beach, I wandered the streets illuminated by the faint glow of streetlights. Suddenly, I felt someone grab me from behind and abruptly turn me to face them. Izuru was holding me tightly in his grasp, holding a knife inches away from my neck.

"I'm supposed to kill you...." He muttered, ruby eyes fixated on my neck. I completely froze, unsure of how to react or what to do. "I've killed so many people.. Many more special than you are. And I can't do it!!!"

"Haji- er, Kamakura-San, can you let me go?" I muttered in a desperate attempt to flee. 

"Why can't I bring myself to do it?!" He cried, tears forming in the corners of his eyes. "Maybe it's because of him. He cares about you so damn much that I can't do shit!"

"Why do you want to kill me exactly?" I stammered, the sound of crickets and rustling leaves being the only response I receive.

"That's what I'm supposed to do. I'm the living embodiment of greatness, and I need to isolate myself, and my other self, to keep it as such. You're just in the way of that," he explained, his grip on the knife beginning to falter. "If he didn't care, you would've been dead in this very spot right now."

"I-I don't know... What to say..." I breathed in response.

"Then don't say anything. You don't have to. You'll never be anything special, so it's not like anything you say will ever matter."

Still completely grabbing at straws, I began to cry. I didn't know what to do or what to say, so I just stood there as he held the weapon up to me.  Then out of nowhere, a figure came and pushed Izuru down to the ground, knocking him unconscious.

"Damn Izuru, relying on trash like me to come to his rescue. Hard to believe it actually gives some meaning to my pointless existence," the tall, waifish figure chuckled. I was completely frozen, lying on the ground due to the sudden blow knocking me off my feet. It was a miracle I also wasn't knocked out.

"You're familiar," the figure muttered to me as he bent over to pick up Hajime/Izuru. I automatically recognized him as soon as he did that. Fluffy white hair, empty grey eyes. He was one of the boys from the beach the other day. Something seemed off about him, as if someone that sickly shouldn't he perusing a tropical island. "I'm Nagito Komaeda. You're Hajime's lady friend, aren't you?"

"I-I guess so," I stuttered as he extended his hand out to me, bringing me back on my feet. His grip was incredibly strong despite himself. "Do you have any idea why he tried to- you know?"

"Honestly, I don't!" He chuckled, his laugh sounding spirited yet empty and hollow at the same time. "Maybe it's because Izuru doesn't want his other self to be happy. But that's just me taking a wild guess." He hoisted Izuru up on his shoulders, somehow able to carry him.

"Anyways, it's way past your bedtime, (y/n)," he giggled as he turned away from me. Wait, how did he learn my name?! "If I were you, I'd forget this encounter ever happened. And let's just keep it between us, ok? Hinata would flip out if he learned that he almost killed you tonight."

"Uh... O-ok? See you," I stammered as I turned in the other direction, making my way back to the cottage. I somehow remained completely unscathed despite the fall, no bruises or scrapes on my skin. It was incredibly strange.

"Where have you been?" a voice asked calmly as soon as I made it through the threshold of the cottage. A sleepy eyed Chiaki stood parallel to me, a confused yet stern expression on her face.

"I.." I started, unsure of whether to lie or to tell the truth. "I couldn't sleep, so I went out for a walk!"

"Riiiight. For an hour and a half?" She responded sternly.

"Eh, truth be told, I got caught up in something on the way. Don't worry, I'm ok!" I responded honesty.

"Oh, ok. Just be more careful in the future," she breathed as she turned to go back to her room. I was both shocked and pleased she decided not to question me any further.

"Yeah," I replied, hoping she wouldn't hear. "I'm doing the best I can."