One Thing Can Change a Life Forever

It's almost time for the babies to be born. I couldn't wait to have our children! Until the afternoon of October 11th that my life changed forever.

"Ok..... I need to get home to take care of Alex.
I can't believe it's a month away." Drew said to himself. Drew stopped at a red light and waited. There was no one on the street except a couple of stray cars. When the light turned green he pulled out and didn't see the horror racing towards him. Next thing he knew there was a car of teenagers ramming into the side of his car, flipping it on its side. Drew shook around the car and banged his head on the steering wheel. He picked up his phone to send Alex a message:
I love you. I'll always love you. Never forget it.
He sent the message. Ambulance sirens came from a distance. He didn't realize what was happening. Everything was blurry. Nothing seemed right. He laid in the ambulance, lifeless. He was on the urge of dying. Then I got this call
"Hello?"
"Hello. Is this Alex Smith?" The lady asked
"Yes. Who's calling?"
"Your acquaintance was in a car wreck this afternoon. Can you come down?"
"Immediately. Thanks for calling...." I hung up with years down my face. That's what that random text was for. What if he doesn't make it? What if I have to raise twins on my own? I ask myself as I grab my keys and run out the door. I race to the hospital and find Drew's room. I run in and hug him.
"Drew!" I yell while hugging him. Tears are down both of our faces.
"I......I love......you......Alex." He says I between harsh breathes.
"W.....what's going on?" I ask in between sobs.
"I.......I'm....... I've been told..... They can't fix.....what's wrong......with me." He says looking in my eyes. I take his his and stare back.
"Drew.....I......" I'm breaking down now.
"Don't say anything."
"But I love you Drew. I couldn't imagine my life without you..... I couldn't manage....." I respond, we are both crying.
"I....... I....... Just wanted to see you..... One..... Last time."
"No....... No!!" I scream, hugging him.
"I love you Alex Smith. I...... Love our..... Children. I wouldn't....... Change a thing...... If I had...... The chance..... You're..... The best thing that's..... Ever happened.... To me...." He said in between breathes. I could tell these were our last seconds.
"I love you Drew, I'll see you in heaven....... Ok?"
He smiles. I kiss him one last time. He dies in my arms. I let go. I fell to the floor, water flowing out of my eyes. I couldn't believe he was gone. A deep, deep sadness overcame me.
Who the hell killed him? Why Drew.... Why out of all the people of the world? I couldn't take it. Everything happened so quickly. The nurses ran in and put the blanket over his head. Two nurses picked me up and escorted me out as I looked back at Drew's lifeless body laying there. I broke free from the nurses' grasp and hugged him one last time. Before they pulled me out of the room. At that point I wanted to curl up in a ball and die. I couldn't live with myself after what happened. They say me down in a chair. Then, his parents came in. They were in tears. I looked over at them. They looked at me. We came together in a tight hug. I couldn't control my tears. The one person who actually made the world seem good to me was dead. The father to my children to be born in a month. I couldn't believe it.
"H-how did you get here so fast?" I ask them
"We already...... Said our goodbyes...... Before you came....." His mother responded. We then discussed the funeral plans with the doctors and nurses. I didn't pay attention one bit.