February 2nd

GROUNDHOGS DAY ONE-SHOT; Part 2

Why Not (Alternate ending)

~~~"That's why." She says, turning her attention to me. "That's why I'm doing this. Because it's me and I'll be that whether or not people want me to be. And I'll do this," she says gesturing to the current situation. "whether anyone thinks it's stupid or not."

I sigh, letting my head fall. My brown hair falls in front of my face. I pull off my beanie and run my fingers through my hair.

"I'm sorry, Brit, I didn't mean it like that."

She stands and smiles at me. Her gloved hand falls on my shoulder causing me to look up at her beautiful smiling face. "It's okay, I know what you meant."

I take her hand in mine and kiss her thin, pink lips. "Stay here for a second, okay?"

I go to the van and take the small cage out of the back seat. A small blanket covers it and the tiny rodent inside. I lock the door and go back to Brit who hadn't listened, and went to search another burrow on the other side of a nearby bush.

She peers back at me, obviously hearing the snow and other debris crunch beneath my feet.

"What is that?" She says trying not to sport a smile. Her face is bathed in confusion but a glent of knowing hope gleams in her eyes.

I hold in a laugh. "What's what?" I try not to smile.

She stands, swaying her hips as she walks over to me. "This," She says, running her fingers along the sheet covering the cage. "In your hands."

"Oh, this." I play clueless. "Well, you know my mom's shelter is closing down and all." She pouts sadly at my words. Having had volunteered at the animal shelter for the past two years, Brit has grown accustomed to the place. It's a special in every way possible. It's not only where we meet but it's also a place I grew up and, with her, have made lasting memories. But recently we had to let all our workers go. "We're trying to find home's for all the animals and I thought you'd be interested in this one." I say pulling the blanket from over the cage.

"It's a groundhog!" She practically screams, covering her mouth with her hands.

"Yeah," I laugh. "I wasn't planning on giving it to you so soon but it's a tough, fighter. Mom quickly nurtured it back to health." I smile.

She opens the cage and slowly takes the little guy out. "He's so cute." She coos in a whisper.

All I can do is smile. Britteny slowly gets on her knees and places the groundhog on the ground.

"This cutie pie deserves to be home in the wild." She says petting it one last time before it scurries away. "And every year, from this day forward, we'll come see him and he can give us hope for the year."

I smile down at her once she finally looks up at me. "It seems like winter is ending early and your mom has a chance of keeping the shelter." She stands and dusts herself off before walking to me.

I wrap my hand around her waist and give her a kiss. "We have a chance of keeping our shelter. Just like I'm making this promise to you, you have to promise that you'll commit your life to me. I've already planned to commit mine to you."