February 2nd

GROUNDHOGS DAY ONE-SHOT: (1st Ending)

Why Not?

Britteny shakes with anticipation. Her hand clasped tightly around my forearm causing me to release a deep breath. I roll my eyes at her childish behavior, but smile to myself because of how cute she is.

"Stop here." She cheers, pointing to a bare patch in the winter fortress. I pull off of to the side of the icy road as she instructed.

She hops out of the car before I can properly stop. My lips release a heavy sigh. I put my all black minivan in park and cut the engine. Don't judge it, my dad gave it to me before he passed away.

I climb out the car and make my way to Britteny. She stands at the edge of the snowy woods examining it. She turns to me in her big pale pink coat, cream skirt, and pale gloves with hipster designs.

"Alex, we're here." She smiles from ear to ear.

I slip my hands into the pockets of my black hoodie. "I know." I breath, rocking from heel to toe.

With a small laugh that doesn't match the large smile on her face, she takes off into the woods.

"Brit! Come on, you're taking this way too seriously." I call to my girlfriend for about the hundredth time since we've started the chase. We're in the cold, frost covered woods, with no connection to the outside world whatsoever. This is my kind of place and, yes, I do adore isolation, but this is ridiculous.

I slip my hands inside the pockets of my tight black jeans. The air turns a crisp white with every breath released. The trees surrounding us are almost covered in pure white snow along with the once green grass.

Everything seems frozen in time, except for me. Even Britteny has become frozen like her surroundings. Before I can say a word she cuts me off. Her breath like words is carried off in the air and causes me to sigh.

"I think I found it." She says before taking off a few feet infront of us then dropping to her knees. Her frail hands dig furiously into the snow as she speaks her next words. "Well, one. But I still found something."

I sigh once more before coming to her side. I fall to my knees and watch her intently.

"Hello?" She calls. Brit peers her head into the tiny burrow hoping for some poor creature to be in there.

I wrap my arms around her and pull her from the tiny hole. "Babe- babe- Love?" I pry, finally grabbing her attention.

"Whaaat?" She thrashes playfully.

"This is stupid." I slip rather carelessly, "Why do you insist on doing this?"

"Because it's Groundhogs Day, and I want to know whether winter is ending early or not."

"You do know that's a hoax right? Plus, it's only fifty percent accurate on a good day?"

She smirks at me, instantly hinting at the smart remark that's about to leave her lips. "Well today seems like a rather good day, and in six weeks we'll see just how good of a day it was."

With those words she goes back to looking for the answer to an endless question. When will winter end? The only answer, to her, seems to lay in a poor, defenseless groundhog.

She stands and dusts herself off. I follow her lead and she does the same to me.

Three holes and no groundhogs later Britteny still hasn't given up. I trug tiredly behind her, my body hunched and my shoulders slouched.

I sigh, securing my black beanie on my head before running a hand over my face restlessly. "Seriously, I don't know why you're always up to these silly antics."

"Why are you gay?" she says catching me by surprise.

Britteny falls to her knees and begins digging into the snowy ground and dirt.

"What?" I ask, a bit confused.

"Why are you gay?" She says using the obvious ignorant's politically incorrect terms.

"Because that's me. That's how I am and that's what I'll be."

"That's why." She says, turning her attention to me. "That's why I'm doing this. Because it's me and I'll be that whether or not people want me to be. And I'll do this," she says gesturing to the current situation. "whether anyone thinks it's stupid or not."