January 1st

NEW YEARS ONE-SHOT:

Resolution

~It was the end and we all knew it. But my resolution is to love him until the end.~

It's 11:15 of December 31st, 2028. Everyone sits in anticipation or is in a sullen worried state. They either fear the new year or are embracing their fates.

A year and 45 minutes from now will be the end. Our world will be over and our fates sealed.

Everyone is in a dull state. New York isn't even dropping the ball this year. The people are too weary, causing much debate over the issue. Most believe the New Year's eve party is basically celebrating our death, but I think the people are thinking too hard. We need a distraction to pull us from the chaos that comes with this knowledge.

I look in the mirror, making sure my milk chocolate hair is perfectly falling to the sides of my face. My white suit isn't even slightly ruined as it contrasts perfectly with my slender body. I take the white flower and pin it to my suit pocket before twirling my diamond embedded engagement ring around my finger.

I planned this day a long time ago. I dreamed I'd find the man of my dreams and we'd live out our lives together. We'd wrinkle, gray, and grow old like every in love couple would. But that's not possible and everyone knows it.

That doesn't change my feelings for Julius in the slightest, though. We'll grow, not much, but we'll do it together. We'll love each other until the end of our lives and that is all I ever wanted. It's all I could ever ask from the man that I love so damn much.

"Maddison, my dear brother, are you ready?" Anderson asks, causing me to turn to my dark haired brother as he peeks through the door.

I turn away from him as he enters the dimly lit room. "Did father make it?"

"Not yet." He says, adjusting my broch. He takes diamond clamps and pin them down to the collar of my shirt before adjusting that to. "Don't worry, our old man will be here. You aren't marrying the girl of his dreams but the catch you have makes you so much happier. Just don't forget us, we don't have much time left."

"Never." I say, turning to face him.

He smiles, patting my shoulder. "Never."

Our arms linked together as we head out onto the boat. We climb aboard the 'M.A. Son', my father's boat. He's been a Captain for as long as I can remember. It's become his only name besides father.

"My boys." Father smiles, his white and gray beard wrinkling at the sides of his lips. The three of us fall into a bear hug. He places his gloved hands upon my face. "I'm proud of you son." He says smiling before pulling me into another hug.

"Mother," I smile, pulling away from my father to step closer to her. She pulls her red and white scarf down to the collar of her all black trench coat so that I can see her beautiful smile. I pull her into a loving embrace.

"My boy," She runs her hand along my face and down to my shoulder, "my last boy. Oh, how I'm going to miss you."

"There will be nothing to miss Mother."

She smiles, tears welling in the rem of her eyes. "But your Julius is taking you away from us. I won't let him. I'll tell him, 'look here, Cop-er. You will bring my boy back to me every Sunday night or January first won't be the day you die'." She says, pulling a laugh from all of us.

I turn to Jacsen, who my brother is holding by the waist tightly.

"Sister-in-law." I smile as I nod to her. I pull her hand to my lips, planting a soft kiss on her smooth skin.

"Congratulations, brother, I'm so happy for you." Her eyes brim with glee. She pulls her silk scarf around her exposed arms. Her brown hair flows down her back while her blue dress shines like the water in the moonlight.

"I love you so much." I say, as I pull her to me, burying my head in the crook of her neck.

My brother playfully pulls me away. "From the way you both act it seems as if y'all are getting married this evening."

Jacsen places a kiss to his temple. "My husband just wouldn't have it, and with a husband as great as that I won't either."

Anderson runs his hand over her large pregnant belly. "Neither would she." He says, placing a tender kiss to his wife's lips.

"Well, best head out to sea." My dad says, clasping his hand on my shoulder. "We wouldn't want to be late to your wedding."

"Not for the world." I say smile.

~~~

I watch boat glides across the ocean, creating numerous waves. Father navigates through the dense rocks before coming upon our destination.

Julius' father, the pastor, stands on the rocks fridget surface along with Julius and his mother. It's 11:47. It will take us about five minutes to climb the cliff like rock we will be hosting our ceremony on. The waves are bound to splash us but not full on hit. All of us are bound by the sea, so this is the perfect place for us. Julius and I got engaged here not-so-long ago.

The climb is exaggeratingly long and makes me extremely anxious. Just knowing that the love of my life is waiting to commit his life to me at the top has my heart jolting with adrenaline.

He pulls me up and slips a white ring two rubies alongside a black diamond to replace the engagement ring on my finger. He takes my hands in his as if he's never letting go.

Julius looks strikingly handsome in his black suit. The silver gray and pink tie that I gave him for his birthday blinds perfectly with the light of the moon.

"Is it time?" Julius asks, almost making me melt at the sound of his smooth, husky voice.

Mr. Mark smiles, nodding his head yes. "It's time."

A smiles comes to my face as Julius gives my hands a tight squeeze.

"You can skip all the formalities." Julius' mother steps up. Her and my mother hold each other's hands fondly.

"We're not the ones for such things, it's not like we have forever." Mother finishes.

"Ok, then let's say our 'I do's'."

"I do!" Both Julius and I blurt without a second thought. We chuckle at each other.

He smiles. "Formaly." He replies with a smirk. "Do you, Julius Michaels, take Maddison Gregory to be your lovingly be wedded husband, to have and to hold, as long as you both shall live?"

He stares into my eyes intently, as if he's trying to tell me how much he loves me with his brown eyes. "I do." He says, his black hair falling in front of his face.

"And, do you, Maddison Gregory, take Julius Michaels as your husband, to have and to hold, as long as you both shall leave."

I stare into my husband's brown eyes with my green ones. "By all means, there's nothing I'd rather do."

The loud sound of the clock striking twelve has my smile even more bright. The fireworks we've set around the city fly into the sky, lighting it once again.

"You may kiss your one true love."

Under the beauty of the fireworks our lips meet, officially making us husband and husband.

I can't help but hope that every other couple can share this special moment and extremely romantic kiss with us.

The fireworks blare, painting the sky in ominous color. I can imagine the horrified people looking out the windows of their homes, melting away from their fear as they are captivated by the color. Being taken in by the calm before the storm.