"We'll just have to see how tomorrow goes." He gave me a hopeful little smile.

And that's exactly what we did.

The next morning proved to be an absolute nightmare.

Ashton had packed a small bag in the morning and when Gracie saw it she began to ask questions.

"I have to go to Sydney today, sweetie." He explained to her as she was hoisted up into my arms.

"You have to go?" She frowned.

"Yeah, I do. But I'll be back when you go to bed." He smiled as he downed the rest of his coffee.

She didn't say anything else, but she flopped her head down onto my collar bone.

"Ender! Ashton's about to go!" I called up the stairs and Ender thundered down them.

"See you tonight mate," Ashton gave him a fist bump. "Take care of your sister and Gracie for me."

"I will." Ender grinned.

"Bye Gracie." Ashton came over and bent down so he could tweak her nose but before he even could I looked down to see her eyes watering and I knew what was coming.

"No." She blubbered and then the tears began to fall. Hard.

"Gracie, hey, shhhh....it's okay." He cooed, his hands flitting around trying to figure out what to do.

She reached out for him and he took her up in his arms, trying to calm her down.

"Gracie, he's coming back tonight, it's going to be okay." I tried to help, but that didn't seem to work.

"I don't want you to leave." She cried into Ashton's shirt and he looked at me completely clueless on what to do.

"Gracie," He sighed sorrowfully, and used his free hand to hold the back of her head, pulling her closer.

"Daddy, don't go." She sobbed and he looked at me like someone had just shot his dog.

"Gracie come here," I moved forward and pried her off of him, her legs flailing as I tried to settle her down.

"No!" She bawled and I held her kicking feet down against my side.

"You're just going to have to leave." I told Ashton, Gracie's temper tantrum still in full swing.

"Are you sure?" He asked, looking like he wanted to help.

"Yeah, Ender used to do this and they just have to cry it out." I explained.

"Okay." He said, leaving his mouth open like he wanted to say something more but didn't.

He reached down to grab his bag and then came forward, placing his hand at my hip.

"Bye, Gracie," He leaned to press a little kiss to her cheek but she turned her head away.

"It's okay," I whispered as he leaned down to press a kiss to my lips.

"See you tonight." I smiled lightly, trying to cheer him up.

"Yeah. I'll text you when I get there." He promised.

"Okay." I gave him one more kiss.

Hesitantly he backed up, and waved before he walked out the door, Gracie still cried the entire time and for a few minutes after he left.