Chapter 6

Kevin led Callen over to the sofa to sit down. He walked into the kitchen and poured him a glass of water. As Kevin returned to Callen, he noticed their father pacing the room—-back and forth. He stood watching him, probably for the first time in his life—-for the man he really was. A deserter, a betrayer. And that was just the tip of the iceberg.

Callen looked at his brother and saw him watching their father. When Kevin noticed he was watching him, he turned and made eye contact. It amazed both of them that they seem to be able to communicate their feelings without words. They had only just met;—-yet they seem to understand each other perfectly. John Manning suddenly stopped and looked from Kevin to Callen. He shook his head in wonder at his two sons. So alike in looks and, yes he noticed, in understanding also. Then his sons turned and looked straight at him. Those ocean blue eyes reflecting his own—-although with age, his were not as vibrant. With his shoulders drooped, John took a deep breath and finally spoke.

"On my way here today I wondered what kind of man I am, to desert my children when they needed me the most. For what? I asked myself. For my own pride, because I had betrayed my wife and loved another woman? I cannot expect either of you to forgive me for what I have done." He turned to Callen first and said. "George, I am so sorry for deserting you and your sister, Amy. I know I cannot bring Amy back, or those years you have lost being on your own. All I ask, is that you allow me to explain, he pleaded with him. "And if you decide to never speak to me again, I will understand." He then turned to Kevin. "I'm sorry Kevin for disappointing you."

John sat in a nearby chair to Callen, silently waiting for either of them to speak. Kevin spoke first. "Why did you keep them a secret? I don't understand, Dad. Why did you desert your other children? You always seemed to be a loving husband, father and grandfather." Kevin joined Callen on the sofa for moral support.

John waited silently for George. He knew it was the hardest on him, but he still hoped he'd say something—-anything to him. Callen decided to speak to him in English as he was too emotionally exhausted to bother with Romani anymore. "Did you ever care about us? We thought you loved us, because the three of us loved you. Yet you betrayed us the deepest. Why?" Callen shook his head trying hard not to punch his father in the face or stomach.

John made eye contact again with his sons. "I will tell you." John stood and began pacing the room again.

"Forty-eight years ago, I married your mother, Kevin. We were in love and wanted to have a family. I was working with the CIA on operations mostly involving Russia and Eastern Europe." He turned to George, "which is where I met your mother. Beth and I started to break apart, we became distant due to the pressure of not having any success in getting pregnant." John turned to Kevin. "It tore your mother apart, feeling desperate and a failure. I on the other hand felt helpless—-there wasn't anything I could do to help her." John lowered his eyes to his hands, before continuing on. He then looked up at Callen. "It was then I found myself enthralled with your mother, Clara Callen. She was always happy and full of life, and then I fell in love with her."

John felt uncomfortable talking about Clara like this in front of Kevin, but he knew George needed to hear this. Hell, they both did. "When she went undercover in Romania, I wasn't that far away, so I would sneak into the country and see her every possible moment I could. It was hard leading a double life as an CIA officer and my position in the family Finance business—-llet alone having two women whom I loved in different countries. Then Clara found out she was expecting Amy, and I was so happy. We were both over the moon. Yet I had to keep this hidden from Beth, because I feared it would destroy her totally. However, it had given me hope that we could still have a child. I continued balancing my two lives, which my father aided me in achieving, due to the fact he also had worked for the CIA and in the family business. He gave me portfolios that led me to Eastern Europe and Russia, which enabled me to spend more time doing both jobs, giving me a good solid cover and the time to spend with Clara and Amy."