Ch. 5: Like Home

The after school bell just rang and I'm putting my math notebook in my backpack. When putting my notebook in my backpack, my pencil falls onto the ground and as I reach out to get it, Brandon's reading classes fall to the ground. I just noticed he was in my math and math support class too. I see his hand take hold of his glasses.

"Who's Mark," he asks. I grab my pencil and put it in my backpack. "I just noticed you were in this class too," I say. He laughs, "You just noticed?" I laugh too, "Yeah, I did. You use glasses?" He laughs, "Yeah, I wore them in our first block." "Oh you did?" I start to laugh even harder. "Yeah. So, who's Mark?" I straighten my face. "Uh, a friend I left a long time ago," I response. "Oh," was all he could say since he has no clue what exactly was wrong.

We start to walk to the door and right before I touched it, Brandon started holding it open for me. He laughs, "Ladies first," he says. I laugh too and say, "Well, why aren't you walking?" He laughs and then fakes a sad face, "Wow Alsha, that hurts."

We walk out the entrance, still laughing our butts off, and as I thought we would go our separate ways, we kept walking towards the same direction.

"Okay okay, so you go to my first block," I ask. "Yup," he says. "And my fourth block..." "Yeah." "And my last two blocks?" "Yes." "I just noticed we go to every block except two and three." We both burst out laughing. When he was about to continue walking, I say, "Oh hey, I stop here." I point to the ground. He smiles, "Okay, well see ya Alsha," he says as he waves and walks away.

I look around to see the cars waiting to take someone home. I spot a yellow jeep at the very end of the drive way. When the car is right in front of me, I walk towards it, with my brother visible through the window.

He opens the passenger's door from the inside so I can get in. "Hey little sis, how was school," and with that, I spaced out.

Mark, I saw him at school. Could it be that he never killed himself? Could Zach have known about this, this whole time?

"Hey," my brother yells, making me jump from my sit. "I've been calling you for thirty minutes, what the hell were you thinking about?" "Thirty minutes? Does that mean we're home?" Zach hits my nose with the tip of his index finger's nail. "Duh, we were here like fifteen minutes ago." I rub my nose and frown at him. "Okay well, get out the car and get started on your homework," he says in his caring voice.

I smile as I get out of the car to enter the house. I enter my room and drop my backpack on the side of my bed. "Hey Zach,"
"Yeah?"
"Were you able to make food in your lunch time?"
"Uh, no."
"Oh, okay."

I walk to the kitchen to see what was in the cabinets. "Nothing," I say with a frown. "Hey Zach, when are you going to buy food?" I walk over to the fridge. "Zach?" "Uh, what was that," he says. I roll my eyes at him, "Nothing," I say.

"Hey Al, there's some ice cream if you want some," Zach informs me. "Yay!" I surve myself some ice cream and I go to my room to get started on my homework. "Stupid math teacher, leaving homework on the first day of school," I murmured to myself. "'If I don't leave homework, it's going to look like I didn't do my job,'" I mock.

I open my backpack and take out my math notebook. I take out my led pencil...my pencil. I smile stupidly at my pencil, remembering how much me and Brandon laughed before leaving.

==========

An hour later, I walk out of my room with my homework done, ice cream eaten, and a nap taken. I walk into the kitchen, with my brother pacing back and forth from the food he is making to his homework he is trying to get done. Im always eager to help with the food but he insists not to. "Common, for once Zach, let me help," I say begging. He stares at me, trying to figure out his decision.

He sighs, "Okay fine, help me with the food." I put my hands in fists and raise them up in victory, "Yes! Finally!"

**********

To be honest, this was the first time I had ever cooked. Mashed potatoes and chicken, with some noodle soup before that. I got a few scratches from pealing the potatoes, spilled some blood from the chicken, and got burned by spilling some juice from the noodle soup. It was all worth it that day, I got to eat dinner with my brother like when uncle Tommy was around.

**********

"Hey sis, the food is great," Zach comments. "Really," I ask shyly, "you aren't just saying that because its my first time, are you?" "No sis, it actually is good."

I look at my bowl of noodle soup and my chicken with mashed potatoes. I took a full spoon of the noodle soup, "Mmmm," I took a bite to the chicken with mashed potatoes, "Yummm." Unnoticed, Zach smiling at me as he ate, "This is so good," I say. "Are you complimenting yourself," he says in between laughs.

When we're done, I give my plates to my brother so he can wash them. I walk around the table until I notice something in Zach's backpack. I take it out, its red and shiny.

A picture...

Mom's in it, and dad, and uncle Tommy, daisy, Zach and me. "Alsha!" I drop the picture in fear. Tears roll down my face. "Alsha," Zach says calmly. He walks over to me and puts a hand on my shoulder as he picks up the picture from the floor. "That was three days before mom, dad, and daisy died," I say in between cries. "Did you really care for that dumb dog?" "Yes, daisy was family. Why do you have this anyways?" "You didn't expect me to throw all sight of memory of them just for you, did ya," he says. "I just really wish you told me that you didn't agree. I wouldn't have forced you," I said in tears.

I take the photo from his hands, "I miss then a lot, Zach." Zach pulls me into a hug and strokes me hair, "Its okay Al, I miss them too. Just cry all you want, I'm here for you." I slowly put my arms around his waist, and I hold onto his sweater as I cry.

**********

Mom and dad died three days after my fifth birthday. They said it was an emergency and they had to go to Switzerland. They took daisy, our five year old female dog. They said she was a good help, so they took her with them. They died on their way to Switzerland in a plane crash. They say it was no accident and that it wasn't the pilot. Its still untold and now, I don't think they're trying to figure it out anymore.

**********
==========

Its 9:30 now, Zach and I sat and talked after I had stopped crying. "Night sis," Zach says as he tucks me in and kisses my forehead. He turns off the light and starts to his room, right across mine. I fall asleep with thoughts on my head:

I can't believe everyday is like this. Brother and I always end up talking after I had cried, thinking of our past. Like Mark, mom and dad, uncle Tommy, daisy. My home is always depressing. Its a happy place to be, whoever walks in will always think positively, but the memorize this house holds is terribly horrifying and depressing. Luckly, im not a teen yet because then my teenage hormones will be all over the place, making me feel alone and depressed, but unluckly, im turning thirteen in a few weeks.

----------

Did you like it? Tell me what you think? And those who are reading and like this story, sorry for the delay. If you got any questions, ask away. I really hope you enjoy this story, especially since I want to become a writer, but I'm just starting so I'm not so good right now, right...
Enjoy