Chapter 3

" I think it would be good for you to at least know where you came from," Darren said. " But it might bring back some memories that you...you know." 

Darren had sat the spider down before he even spoke.  

" I'm aware, but I need to know what I am, and maybe find people like me." 

A flier somehow found it's way to the top of the roof where we were and landed at the edge of my left foot. 

" You think we could start there?" Steve asked

" It wouldn't hurt." I said as I looked at it. 

The Next Day 

April 13th, 2016 

Old theatre on 1212 Main Street 

9:40pm

That night we went to the freak show and we were in for a treat. 

It always amazed me how people could do things like this. 

We were going to wait until it wasn't so quiet and ask where the head of the circus was, but as soon as the show ended, the police, along with some locals barged in.

And among the locals was  Mr. Kersey. 

One of the members of the Cirque noticed we were in trouble and directed us to another exit that was downstairs. 

Once we were out, we darted a few blocks away and then stopped. 

" We would have been dead if he saw us," Darren wheezed. " Jeez.." 

" You think we can hang around until the cops disappear?" I asked. "  I need to talk to the owner." 

" It will probably be a while," Steve said. " Knowing them." 

I sat down on a damp tree trunk. 

It has been sprinkling for the past half hour. 

" We can't stay for long," Darren said. " We need some sleep if we're going to be able to pass those exams." 

" You can go ahead and go home if you want to," I told them. " I would read the mind of that woman who helped us, but she's too far away." 

See, my mind reading powers have limits. I can only read people's minds if they're in a specific range of me. 

We waited for an hour and Darren went to go see if it was any better. 

It was still the way it was and the clock had just struck 12:00. 

" I'm sorry Em, but I have to get back." Darren told me when he came back, umbrella in hand. 

" It's fine," I told him. " You better hurry, it's getting ready to pour." 

" I'll stay with her." Steve said.  

" Where are you two going to go to get out of the storm?" 

" Water never hurt us."

" Fine, but if you get a cold, I ain't being your nurse. See you guys later." Darren said as he jogged off. 

We started to backtrack and found a small junkyard full of metal beams and cement blocks. 

Together, Steve and I made a small shelter and waited out the storm. 

After three more hours, we heard the cop cars pass us and we hightailed it back to the theater. 

We darted back to find the members packing up and started talking to them. 

It wasn't that long until a very tall man appeared in front of us.