Chapter 24

( Emma's P.O.V.)  

I woke up feeling stronger. I must be getting the rest of my powers. 

My guess was right when a saw a portal open in front of me. I said: "close" and it closed. 

Steve wasn't in the tent. When he came in last night after Mr. Crapsley took him and Darren to feed, he looked fine. 

I tried to look what he was doing, but I couldn't. 

When the sun hit my face, it burned a little. 

" What the hell's up with this?" 

I looked and saw Darren come out of his tent and was talking to Evra as he worked on a scooter.

I guess he had just finished because he just stood up. 

( Darren's P.O.V.) 

" Hey, dude," Evra said. " We are on our own today. Rebecca's in the costume shop." 

I heard someone behind us. It was Emma. She was blocking the sun with her right hand. " Have you guys seen Steve?" 

" No." Evra said. 

" He wasn't in the tent?" I asked her. 

 " No. And I can't connect with him either."  

" Go ahead and find your brother," Evra said. " I only have a few chores today. I should be good." 

" Thanks." 

We asked around and no one had seen him, so we started looking around the edges of the woods and then started to enter them when I heard a rustle in a bush a few yards away. 

" It's just a kid." Emma told me. 

" You can tell that just by his smell?" 

" BOO!" Steve's voice yelled from behind the bush the kid was behind and he bolted towards us and stopped halfway. 

" Where the hell were you?" Emma basically snapped. 

She always freaks out like that when she doesn't know where either of us is. 

" I went out to feed some more. And don't worry, I didn't kill her. I drank her blood like Mr. Crepsley showed me. I didn't have to knock her out because she was already passed out."

" Why couldn't I figure out where you were?" 

Did he shut me out?

" I didn't shut you out. I couldn't if I wanted to. Your ora's too strong." 

" Then what the hell happened?" 

" I'm sorry if I caused you trouble." The boy said. 

We all looked at him. " I didn't mean to, it just happens." 

" What do you mean?" Emma asked as she knelt down.

" I have like a mind forcefield what if I get to close to a person that has or is close to a person who has a psychic power. It just kind of happens." 

" Is that why you were so close to the campground?" I asked him. 

" Yeah...." 

He looked at the ground. 

" You didn't do anything." Emma reassured him. 

He looked at her. " What's your name?" 

" Sam. Sam Grest."