#4 Moonchild (rewritten)

Trigger Warning: MAJOR CHARACTER DEATH, blood, murder, you have been warned.

Summary: For some, life is too short.

Word count: 1500

Looking back on it now, Hiccup realised he never should have taunted him. He cursed his past self's ego and immaturity for thinking that it was a good idea to taunt a dragon hunter with a dragon.

The battle was merciless, screams of agony and the grind of metal on metal from the swords were sounds that hiccup knew would haunt him long after this battle, if he made it out of the battle at all.

Bodies of those dead and dying, friend and foe, were scattered around. Some with swords stuck in them, some with arrows, some with wounds from where an arrow or sword had been pulled carelessly out.

The feeling of guilt kept creeping up on him, eating away at his conscience. It was his fault that this was happening, his fault that half the people on Berk were by now probably already dead or on the way to dying.

"Hiccup! Snap out of it!" He snapped his head to the side to look at the source of the voice, his strong willed wife, Astrid, stood tall with her axe in one hand and a blood soaked dagger in the other. The blood was fresh, still gleaming and shining in the light of the fire, drops of it slowly rolling off the dagger and falling onto the grass bellow, staining it with red.

He nodded his head and tried to refocus on everything around him. He couldn't see Snotlout, but he could hear his cousin's boisterous screams of war. Hiccup couldn't help but feel a little bit of amusement when thinking of how he was in his element.

Directly head of him he could see the twins, back to back surrounded by 4 of the enemies. Normally if he had seen anyone outnumber 2:4, he would feel anxious and concerned, but these two were the Thorston twins, spending time with them over the years has had Hiccup realise that although there were near constant quarrels and arguments, they worked better together than any duo in Berk history.

Fishlegs stood somewhere to his right, knocking back the enemy from left right and centre. Fishlegs much preferred his books to fighting, it was a well known fact on the isle of Berk, but he also knew how to fight and keep his guard, which wasn't really a surprise considering that they were vikings and all vikings know how to fight.

Somewhere in the corner of his vision, he could see Heather and Eret fighting together with his mother a little further ahead going solo and head to head with the enemy. All those years with the dragons really did her instincts and senses right, she could see things coming before they came.

A grunt came from behind him and he raised his flaming sword just in time to block the sword that was aimed at his head. He pushed the sword back with all his might and pushed the hunter back. Quickly, he pressed his sword up against the head of the viking, on his ear. Although this was a fight, he couldn't handle the thought of taking someone's life, it went against what he thought and believed.

The man yelled in pain, pulling away and clutching his now probably mangled ear. He ran off but before Hiccup had any time to react, an arrow came flying past his face, only centimetres from his face. But hiccup knew that this was intentional, the arrow was fired to attract attention, not kill.

Looking up from the direction the arrow came from, he saw the leader standing at the top of the hill. In one hand he held the bow, in the other, gripped tightly by the hair, was his daughter. Tears were running down Freya's face rapidly as the man tightened his grip on his daughter's hair.

A rage and fury filled Hiccup upon looking at the sight before him. He felt his blood boil and pure rage filled him as he started to make his way towards where the disgrace of a human being stood holding his daughter as a hostage.