Chapter 1

I was practicing my fire powers on one of the five candles that we had sitting on the kitchen table. My little sister Annie was watching me as Mom laid my dinner plates in front of me. 

When I use my powers for long, my energy decreases. 

" That's enough for today," Mom said as she patted me on the pack. " Eat your dinner." 

I opened my eyes to find a large plate of food sitting in front of me with four cans of orange Crush.

The plate had two hamburgers, two hot dogs, and a huge helping of broccoli. 

" Tell me if you want something else." Mom said.  

" I should be fine." I said picking up my fork. 

Dad was outside in the garden gardening and Darren was up in our room doing his homework. 

" Annie, go ahead and start cleaning your room." Mom said as she returned to the living room that was across from the kitchen. 

She got up and headed to her room, disappointed. 

She hated cleaning her room alone. 

"Sorry I can't help tonight," I told her telepathically. " I'll help you tomorrow."  

She didn't respond. 

I exhaled and started eating as Mom turned the news on and continued folding the laundry. 

I was done in an hour and headed up to my bedroom and found Darren typing away at his desk.

For the remainder of the evening, we did our homework, not knowing that tomorrow was the last normal day of there lives.