The Reluctant Admiral, Six

*** Six ***

مصادر سرية في مكان، مواصلة الترصد، والذهاب مع الله

Covert sources in place, continue surveillance

Six week later

“Admiral, a Lieutenant Rockwell to see you, he says he works for you…?”

“Send him in.”

“Thank you, Sir. I’ve run into a brick wall.”

“The secretary said you work for me, Lieutenant, how so?”

“Supply Division, Sir, but the cafeteria service is the road block at the moment.”

“Cafeteria, eh? I hear complaints all the time, what is going on?”

“Sir, the supervisor refuses to provide records as the book requires; costs go up each month, but the number of meals served goes down, it doesn’t make any sense.”

“You can’t get any answers?”

“No, Sir, I have forwarded five requests and made a personal visit and my report is due at the end of the month, just a few days from now.”

“That report comes to this office?”

“Yes, sir, it does.”

Lieutenant, ah, Rockwell, send that report in with or without the information and I will look into this for you.”

A big sigh of relief and a very appreciative look came along with the ‘thank you, sir’, as he saluted and left the office.

The food is below standards, low quality, not well prepared and the restaurant part had a bad smell and looked unclean. There were seldom more than a few tables occupied at any time. But the meals delivered to me were satisfactory, I probably got special treatment.

“Annie, I need to contact a Navy cook by the name of Auspicious Jones; see if you can track him down for me?”

“Auspicious? On it, sir.”

‘If Captain Randall is in, have him come by when he is free, and, thank you.”

“Yes, sir, you’re welcome.”

I stepped out for a smoke and when I came back Randall was sitting in the office. “Sorry to keep you waiting Captain, I thought you would call first.”

“I should have, sir, but I have about fifteen minutes before my next appointment…”

“Captain, I just discovered that I am responsible for the operation of our cafeteria, which does not please me, but, it made me wonder what the full scope of the duties of this office are. Do you think you could scare up a job description for me?”

‘I’m sure I can, Admiral, and you want it yesterday?”

“Hah, no, not urgent, well at least I don’t think so. Maybe have the JAG people take a look and spell it out if it is govspeak, okay?”

“Yes, sir, I’ll get back to you.”

Saluting indoors on in offices is not a requirement, but it started and I liked the formality, so I did nothing to change it.

For about the tenth time I shuffled through the recruitment brochures and flyers that had gone out nationwide a few days ago and wondered what the success rate would be, if any. My staff predictions were from few to none. I hope they are wrong.