Chapter Twenty-One: Change

Start from the beginning

“How does he even know about them?”

“Beats me.”

“So what do you guys talk about then, Chris?”

“Um…you know, stuff. He just doesn’t like to get into all the werewolf stuff with me lately,” I shot back defensively, shrugging. Even I had to admit, however, that it was pretty weird. Derek usually told me everything, regardless of how dangerous it was, but all of a sudden he’d started to shut me out. Slowly, bit by bit, he’d stopped confiding in me about Alpha stuff, began to respond to my persistent questions with elusive one-word answers, and even gone so far as to blatantly change the subject when I tried to ask him about it. This had all started at the beginning of the summer, when he and Isaac had found the symbol painted on the door of Derek’s old place. That was the real reason Derek had wanted to move, and I’d agreed – I could tell that whoever or whatever this “Alpha pack” was, they scared Derek. And he didn’t like to be scared.

            The rest of my classes were uneventful as I went about my usual daily routine; I sat with Isaac and Alice during lunch, where we were soon joined by Scott and Stiles. Over the summer, Isaac had told Alice about werewolves and what he was, and she’d accepted him, surprisingly. So now she was one of us, and I was actually enjoying having her company now that Erica was gone. She’d been experiencing some severe depression and even retaliation against Derek, and so he’d sent her down to Texas to train with one of his family friends, a legendary werewolf who could help Erica through her issues. I missed her like crazy, and Derek and I had even gone down for a visit right before school had started back up, but it wasn’t the same as having her here with us.

“So how’re you guys supposed to stop the Alpha pack?” Alice asked, rather astutely I thought, while the five of us went around discussing the problem.

“I don’t know. Honestly, we don’t even know if we’re going to have to stop them. Derek hasn’t told us much, he’s been too busy training the newbie wolf,” Isaac answered bitterly, stirring around the fries on his plate and scowling. If Derek was shutting Isaac out too…you’ve got to say something to him, Chris.

            Later that day, I was walking out of the Algebra classroom with Stiles when the two of us met up with Scott in the hallway. He had an alarmed look plastered across his face, and immediately dragged us into the corner by his locker.

“Scott, what’s wrong?” I asked instantly, concern coloring my tone as I grabbed onto Scott’s arm and shook it. In this town, an expression of worry from your werewolf best friend could mean anything from “I think there’s a pop quiz today in Physics” to “Derek’s dead”. Please don’t let it be the last one.

“I think…I think there’s another werewolf in town.”

“What, like you smelled them?” Stiles inquired, the gears in his brain whirring. I knew we were both thinking about the Alpha pack. What if they’re here already? What does that mean for us? For Derek?

“Yeah…two of them,” Scott announced slowly, and before he’d barely even gotten the words out, squeals and giggles erupted from the other end of the hallway, and we all turned to look. Walking down the hall like they owned the place were two very attractive twin boys; they had tan skin, cropped brown hair, and smiles that stretched widely across their faces and made you want to smile back without thinking. I felt my insides quiver, and I almost let out a sigh of my own. Damn, those guys are fine. As they passed, the one closest to me turned his head and met my gaze. His sparkling brown eyes bore into mine, searching, and my breath caught in my throat. Without saying a word, he slowed his pace, leaned in closer to me, and planted a soft kiss on my cheek. I could feel his strong muscular arms brush against my chest with the motion, and the smell of his leather jacket overwhelmed my senses.