End of Rain, Beginning of Tears

Kareen woke up groggily on the stone floor, and then she remembered what happened.  She tried to jolt herself awake, but found she could hardly move.  She turned on her side, and moved her wing out of the way, and there was Lailen.  She looked pale, as if someone had erased the color from her.  Kareen crawled forward as best she could, trying to reach her.

"Lailen!" she cried to no response.  "Lailen!"

Lailen stirred just a little, she opened her eyes and smiled.

"Hello sister," she said.

"Are you alright?" asked Kareen.

"I don't think so..." said Lailen groggily.  "I think...I think I'm...slipping away..."

"No Lailen!  Stay with me!"

Kareen didn't feel herself fading like Lailen, but she hadn't been in the poison rain for as long as Lailen had.  As it was, Lailen's eyes were rolling in her head.  She did seem to be slipping away.

"I have to...to tell you..." said Lailen groggily.

"Don't try to speak just..." Kareen got out before...

"Terin is dead."

Kareen was struck dumb.  How could Terin be dead?  How could Lailen know?  It was then that Kareen remembered the armor.

"Saved me..." said Lailen as Kareen listened.  "He saved me...I hid among the men...I was so worried about getting caught...He had to...to save me."

Kareen listened, absolutely speechless.  Her head was a vortex of confusion.  Lailen went on.

"He told me...Told me to make sure you were safe...that you and the children were safe...I had to save you...I had to...I owed..."

Kareen didn't respond.

"I'm sorry..." Lailen went on.  "I made a mistake...plenty...really...but I'm glad I could save you...If I see Terin I'll...I'll..."

Kareen finally found her voice, "Tell him I love him.  We all love him.  And you."

Lailen smiled, and then breathed her last.

Kareen wept.  She didn't know how long she stayed there, weakened from poison, but she wept the whole time.   Outside the dark clouds had cleared, and the sun was bright, but inside Kareen wept.