Good New, or Bad News?

Back at her perch, after taking Lailen back to her own, Kareen was surprised to find someone else there, much less Chief Kalvor himself!  He was a big man, tall and muscular, and many found it surprising that he could fly at all!  But of course he could fly as well as anyone else.  He had broad shoulders and brown feathers.  The color suited him, though it wasn't his usual.  His expression was heavy, as if he knew he bore bad news.  He was talking to Terin, and that meant one thing.

Terin had been chosen for the chief's personal guard!

She landed and bowed in respect, but inside she was terrified!  It was a great honor, but Terin would be in the most dangerous place during the battle.  He would be next to their leader.

The Chief noticed her, "There's no need to bow," he said.  "I'm taking your husband.  I know that must be hard for you."

"Kareen stood timidly and said, "I know it's a great honor..."

"Sacrifice," the Chief corrected.  "And it pains me to ask.  Feels cruel even.  But I need the best out there, and your husband is one of the best."

"I shall do whatever I can Chief Kalvor," said Terin.

"Fight well, fight bravely, and give your family the best goodbye you can.   That's all I can ask."

With that, Chief Kalvor flew away; gracefully despite his bulk.  Kareen felt dizzy.  Terin immediately walked over and put his arms and wings around her.

"Oh Terin."

"It will be alright.   Someone has to guard the Chief."

"I know.  I'm just so scared."

"I know."

He held on to her for a few moments, and as she was scared to lose him, she was scared when he would let go.