Safe For Now

It was only a temporary shelter, but it would hide them from the goblins perfectly.  It was a bit ironic that the goblins now left caves, only for the eagle people to descend into them.  It was cold, and dark, and her children were scared, but there was a back entrance that they could fly out of.  Kareen and her family would be safe there.

But she wondered about Terin.

There were plenty of trees outside, and one of the women had a saw, so they were able to cut one down, bring it into the cave, and start fashioning more arrows.  As Kareen sat with her children, carving wood with the knife she borrowed from Jenin, she was thankful.

She would have to use the feathers from her head for the end of the arrows, tied off with threads from her clothes.  She needed the ones in her wings, and there weren't animals to take feathers from, but it didn't matter.  She used the longest feathers, and by the time she was done she looked short haired.

"You could have used my feathers mommy," said Mila.

"That's sweet of you dear," said Kareen, kissing her daughter on the cheek.  "But we'll save those for now."

She looked at Jenin.  He was distracted.  He really did look like his father, and it wasn't hard to guess what he was thinking.

"Father will be fine," she said.

"I know."

The strange thing was, she was trying to be reassuring, but he seemed more confident about that than she was.  She smiled and looked out the cave.  It was even darker than normal with the unnaturally dark clouds in the sky.  She wondered.

Terin?  Are you okay?

Far away, in a battle in the sky, Terin was wondering the same thing about her.