The Inner Sanctum Breached

Terin soared through goblins swarm, cutting down every goblin he could.  He even grabbed an enchanted rock before a goblin threw it and launched it at another.  It flashed when it left his hand and the goblin was struck by a force equal to a thousand hammers!

And still the goblins threw these weapons at the main gate!

The wicker nest palace in the sky would be breached soon, and no matter how many goblins Terin struck, more kept coming.  They would breach the palace.

Kareen and the children would be in danger.

...

Underneath the nest palace, in the part of it that looked like a nest, a small hole was made.  Sticks fell to the distant ground below and a head with brown feathers instead of hair peeked out.  He looked around, but the goblins were all above the palace, fighting the warriors.  He sent the word back quietly.

"All clear!"

The word passed to the great hall where a few warriors, the women, the children, and the elderly gathered.  Most of the women had bows, though Kareen knew one had a sword.  Or at least, one should have had a sword.

Where is Lailen?  She asked herself, but her sister was nowhere to be found.  Still, she couldn't search forever.  She had a job to do.  Lailen will follow the others out.  She told herself, even though she knew she hadn't been the best predictor of Lailen's actions in the past.

Kareen flew to the top of the hall, staring down at every crowded perch.  She could see fear in everyone's eyes, fear that she felt for her family.

But she knew she couldn't show it.

"Listen!" she cried.  All eyes turned to her.  "We must escape!  The goblins are breaking through the main gate!  When the hole at the bottom is wide enough we must fly in single lines straight down!  Are you ready!"

"We are!" came the replay.

"Good!"

"Our escape is ready!" cried a soldier from below.

"Alright!" cried Kareen.  "You know what..."

A blood-letting screech filled the hall, like a cricket, but somehow terrifying.  Then more came.  The goblins were inside!

"Fly!" cried Kareen.  "Fly!"

The elderly and the children began flying down in a line as instructed, dive bombing to the bottom.  The women who could lift a bow drew theirs and aimed high!  Kareen flew to her perch and took her bow.

"Jenin!" she said to her son.  "Get your sister out of here!"

"Mommy!" cried Mila, but Jenin took her, telling her it would be okay.  He also drew his knife.  He and his sister dive bombed with the rest of them.

Kareen looked up and saw the first goblin come, and then more, and she made ready to fire her bow.  She held a long range weapon against fearsome creatures.  She couldn't afford to be scared.

These things would die before they reached her children!