The Wrong Glance

Lailen dodged and weaved through the goblins, flying with the others and cutting down as many goblins as she could.  She knew she wasn't supposed to be there, and kept glancing at Terin, flying dangerously close.  Had he seen her?

She knew she had to stop glancing.  Goblins could attack her from any direction in the sky and she had to keep an eye on her enemies, not her allies.  A glance at Terin at the wrong moment could spell disaster.  She had to stop worrying about being caught.

She cut down a few more goblins, and then an eagle man next to her was struck by something heavy, sprawling to the ground.  So, now she would have to dodge the goblins enchanted rocks.  The goblins were now throwing the rocks at eagle men, letting them leave their hands, flash with light, and become as heavy as boulders.  They were done with the gate, which means they were in the palace.

Lailen hoped Kareen had made it out with her children.

She dodged a few more rocks, cut down a few more goblins, and then glanced at Terin.

He changed direction, coming for her.  He had seen her!  She tried to move out of the way, but Terin slammed right into her!

And took the rock for her.  If Terin hadn't pushed her...

She dove after him!  The rock had hit him as if with a thousand pounds!  He was plummeting unconscious to the ground, and Lailen couldn't catch up!

"Terin!" she cried, not heeding whether she was caught or not.  "Terin!"

Kareen would kill her.

He woke up at the last moment, spreading his wings!  Only to hit the ground rolling.  He lay there limply.  Lailen flew down next to him, turning him over.  He looked at her groggily, as if struggling to see.

"Lailen?" he said.  "Is that you?"

Oh Kareen!  Lailen thought.  Oh Kareen I'm so sorry!

This is my fault! 

Back in their hiding place, Kareen had her and Terin's children.  She hefted her bow, ready to keep her children safe, but even as she stayed there she wondered.

Oh Terin!  I do hope you're safe!