You're A Shining Distraction

"Mickey!"

Mickey's head whipped to the sound of Mandy's cry as he let go of the prick he was beating the shit out of. "Mandy?!"

Mandy came running from across the L, her face puffy and red as tears streamed quickly. Mickey held his arms out on instinct, sighing when his crying sister fell into them. Mandy rarely ever cried, especially not in front of anyone, so when he sees his sister with waterfalls spilling from her eyes running through the streets Mickey knows something is fucking up.

"She," Mandy gasped, struggling to speak.

"Mandy? What the fuck's up? What's happening?" Mickey asked hurriedly, ignoring the groaning man on the floor.

"She's back!" Mandy wailed, hands clutching to Mickey's muscle shirt tightly. "She- mom is back!"

Mickey's eyes widened as he scoffed. "She's been dead for ten years. You seeing ghosts now or something?"

Mandy slapped Mickey hard in the face, and okay. What the fuck. "You prick! I'm fucking going crazy because Ma is back and you're making me think I'm seeing shit?!"

"Jesus, calm the fuck down!"

"No!" Mandy screamed. "She is back! Come see for yourself, asshole!"

Mickey sighed and gave one last look at the bloody man on the ground. He leaned down and clutched the guy's hair, pulling his head up. "Four hundred, by tomorrow. Or you're fucking dead."

They began walking back to the Milkovich house. Mandy clung to Mickey's side as if he would bolt any second and leave her. He didn't push her away, at least not yet. If her mom thing is a fraud he'll break her nose. "Where did you see her?"

"I just got back from school, went in the house and there she was, on the fucking couch watching TV like she'd been here forever," Mandy replied. Mickey lit a cigarette as she spoke.

"She say anything?"

"I screamed 'what the fuck', took one last look and bolted before she could say anything. Jesus, scariest moment of my life."

Mickey's head started to spin. His mother, Maria, has been dead for ten years. Terry showed them the fucking death certificate and everything. Sure, there was no funeral, but who the fuck bothers with that shit in the south side? Before he knew it, Mickey looked up and saw himself standing ahead of the Milkovich house. He should go to Terry first. He's in jail right now, but Mickey knew he should visit and tell him. Ask him what to do. Iggy and Jamie got caught in a run and are doing time for that. Mickey's alone here. He didn't know what to do. Maria is a tough bitch, nobody fucked with her. Everyone feared her, just like they fear Terry now. She was known as the cunt to not fuck with, and knowing Maria, Mickey could tell she wasn't going anywhere without a fight. Mickey can do a lot of things, but this. This he can't. Not alone.

"Mick," Mandy pushed her brother. "You alive? You zoned out for a while."

"Fuck," Mickey mumbled to himself. He walked up the stairs with a queasy feeling in his stomach. His legs shook as he opened the door slowly and stepped inside, leaving it open. Just in case. He looked at the couch. He was going to throw up, he could feel it. His stomach was a washing machine, flipping nauseously as his legs shook. It's her, it's really fucking her.

Maria looked up from where she sat looking through photos on the couch. She smiled with eyes full of tears at her youngest son. "Micael."

"Don't fucking call me that," Mickey snapped, fists clenching and chest bubbling with anger. "Nobody calls me that anymore."

"Please, baby, let me explain-"

"Explain what?" Mickey spat, glaring at his mother. "You fucking left! You left us with-with him! With Terry! How could you fucking do this?! How the fuck did you sleep at night knowing you left your kids to that son of a bitch?!"

Maria had tears streaming down her face now. "Micael, I know. I just-"

"You don't get to come back here fucking just like that," Mickey growled dangerously. He couldn't help it. He threw his fist into the wall, making a hole in the drywall as he screamed. Maria covered her mouth.

"Stop! Micael, stop right now!"

"You fuck- you bitch!"

Mickey head whipped to the side. His cheek was stinging, he could feel the heat radiating from where Maria slapped him. He looked at her with wide teary eyes. Maria's jaw was clenched but Mickey saw right through her. She didn't know what the fuck she was doing. "Listen to me-"

"Just leave," Mickey said, softer now but with much venom. His hand dropped from where he was clutching his cheek. "Just fucking go and never come back. We're better off without you, Maria."

He turned and left, pushing past a frightened and emotional Mandy.