Chapter 15

Berlin

I've never felt so tired in my entire life. Both my body and mind were spent beyond belief and the trauma of Max's harassment the past couple of days was really getting to me. It was supposed to be the perfect day, the day that I officially became Luna of Osias's pack and completed my bond with Osias, but of course the Goddess had never seemed to be on my side in times like this. Even though I was extremely nervous, beyond the wall of fear that I'd built was a field of excitement, one that I only got a taste of before it was completely ruined. On top of that, my tummy was beginning to bother me. Just my luck.

It's hard to explain how it felt when I saw Max walking down that aisle, but the best word to encompass it had to be dread. I dreaded seeing his face again, the one that I thought I knew oh-so-well. A vivid image of the demented state of the features that I once admired was burned onto the back of my eyelids, taunting me. Each time I snuggled deeper into the covers with Hannah and Brook on either side of me, my eyes would snap right back open as I whimpered softly in fear, trying to keep my voice down each time as not to wake my two friends beside me.

What did I do to deserve to have such a complicated life? I only wanted to live with a loving mate, be held in his strong arms every night, and bare his children. I wanted to be a happy couple, the kind that go out on dates on the weekends and struggles to raise their litter of pups without pulling their hair out. 

Instead, I got one demented ex-mate that undoubtedly wanted me (and probably Osias also) dead, and one loving mate that wanted to do nothing but protect and care for me. Why couldn't I just choose Osias and be done with this entire situation? It's really becoming too much for me to bare and I'm sure that it has barely even begun.

I'm so weak...

Turning my head into my fluffy pillow, I inhaled deeply as tears began streaming down my cheeks. Osias's scent that clung to the soft fabric filled my nostrils, and I found myself only crying harder at the reminder that he wasn't beside me. 

I want him...

Despite the fact that I begged Osias to stay with me tonight, I could practically see the bloodlust in his eyes when Max was dragged away into the basement. I could tell that he was debating the options, however his need to torture my ex-mate easily dominated his sanity. Before he descended the crumbling stairs to the basement, he instructed Hannah and Brook to watch over me while he "attended to business". Although I didn't like the idea of being watched all of the time, I have to admit that their presence next to me in bed was at least a bit comforting, and I definitely need as much of it as I can get right now. 

I peeked my head out from under the covers and turned my head to the right, only to be met with Brook's sleeping face. It was safe to say that even when she sleeps she looks like a model. Reaching out a finger, I gently pushed back a curly piece of hair that slipped in front of her eyes, not wanting it to tickle her nose and make her wake up. 

Thats when I saw it.

It was barely a flicker, but my teary eyes were fast enough to detect the slight movement that reflected in the wide window. 

Who would be able to get into the Alpha Wing without Osias' permission?

I sat up in the bed, trying to be gentle with my movements so that I wouldn't disturb my friends. A chill went down my spine as another movement registered in the corner of my eye. A dark figure ran past the door in a flash and I immediately slipped off the bed, padding slowly towards the dark hallway. I wrapped my arms around myself to try and find some warmth as the slight chill of the Californian night was causing goosebumps to rise on my skin.