Chapter 13 - David

No! No! No! Not another kid in hospital!

I gripped Lance's hand as he was taken into the hospital room. He had just collapsed for no known reason. All I know was that Alex screaming for me to come into the kitchen. I had entered the room just as his head was hitting the ground. My hands were shaky as I dialled the phone for an ambulance. I had yelled at Aurora for asking what had happened. She had been the one who had had to make the call.

We were sat in the uncomfortable blue seats in the waiting room as the doctor examined Lance. Alec sat on my lap, sobbing subtlety into my shoulder and Aurora paced around the room on her phone either calling Ella or Jason. Aurora was our angel in situations like this as she knew exactly what to do and how to do it. All I knew how to do was comfort my family. I lifted Alex's head and wiped the tears from her cheek.

"Alex, he'll be ok," I murmured reassuringly, "Don't worry!"

"How can I not?" She sniffed, "what with Bradley, Lance and..."

"Everything ok?" I spoke over my wife as Aurora collapsed into the seat next to us.

"Yeah," she sighed, "I got through to Jace but Brad could wake up at any point so he doesn't want to leave, which I guess is understandable and I left a message for El."

"On her mobile or home phone?" Alex asked.

"Both were engaged. I bet she's still on the phone about this problem again," Rory sighed.

"Problem?" I asked.

"Well apparently the contractors that were hired have seriously messed Ella around and have blown what was already a tight budget. She can't got out there as she really doesn't want to miscarry and she doesn't want you to have to get involved. I text her last night and she had already been on the phone to various people for half the day then," Rory explained.

"Where is Zac?" Alex asked only moments before I was going to ask.

"On call. They gave too many doctors leave and so Zac and a couple others have been pulled in nearly everyday or every night," She replied, "I called Riley a few minutes ago to go around to check on Ella. Hopefully she will sort out this business, oh and she told me that she is buying you a TV for Christmas because as fifth kid is bordering on insane."

I snorted, "Yeah I can imagine Riley saying that."

"Matt is on his way here btw," Rory told us, "He wants to check on us and take mum home."

"I'm not going anywhere!" Alex insisted.

"Mum you are pregnant and emotional so it will be better if we go home. There is nothing we can do here!" Aurora insisted.

"Rory is right Alex. Plus you haven't been sleeping well lately!" I reminded her.

Alex sighed and nodded reluctantly. I planted a lingering kiss on her forehead and circled my arms around her body. She snuggled into my lap again and kissed my neck.

"Fine! I'll go home," she replied finally.

A few moments later, I noticed the doctor coming towards us. I nudged Alex a little and she sat up slightly before jumping up to see what I saw. The doctor wasted precious minutes talking to other staff and I felt like dragging him in thus room and demanding answers. Finally he entered.

"Lance is perfectly fine! He basically just fainted and may have a minor concussion but other than that he should be ok. A short term memory loss is the worst that can be expected, but that is very unlikely," the doctor informed us.

"Can we see him now?" Alex asked eagerly.

"Well he is sedated at the moment and will be for the next twelve to twenty-four hours just for monitoring but then he should be fine. I have also heard word that Bradley James will be awake within the next twelve to eighteen hours so they will both be able to leave," the doctor replied.