Chapter 1 - Ella

I studied my family around the table. My parents, at forty-two and sixty, were flirting with each other subtly at the other end of the table. My mother blushed and smiled as my father brushed a lock of hair behind her ear. I smiled. My siblings exchanged smiles too. I felt Zac squeeze my knee. I bit my lip and coughed loudly. My parents turned to look at me. My mum blushed deeply.

"Rory," I motioned to my sister to continue, "You were saying about this new kid."

"Yeah," she continued, "So this kid is like fifteen but like a fucking... I mean flipping genius," she eyed dad carefully knowing he would disapprove of the language. He did but said nothing, "Anyway, he's in my year and is a complete jerk. He's such a show off."

Lance just laughed. I had a feeling he was behind some of this. Lance was the baby of the family at fifteen and the definition of a trouble maker but got away with it due to his perfect grades. I envied him so much.

"And what are you laughing about baby bro?" I asked patronisingly.

"Shut up El!" He hissed.

"Kids please!" Mum said, "no arguing!"

I laughed and ruffled Lance's hair, "Sorry Lance."

"Not as sorry as you would have been!" He laughed.

"Bring it on bro! I can still whip your ass!" I teased.

My mother smiled, "Jace what about you?"

Jason slowly looked up from his phone. He was probably texting his boyfriend, Bradley, while we all gossiped away. He smiled shyly. He was definitely more like dad.

"Not much has changed really," he replied, "what can I say that you guys don't already know?"

"Well how is Bradley?" Mum persisted.

He smiled, "He's ok. His grades are climbing again, thanks to Ella."

I smiled, "No probs."

Bradley had some problems when his dad died a little over a year ago. It was a tough time for him and Jason as they were both coming out as a couple. Soon after, Bradley slipped into depression and started hurting himself but Jason never gave up on him and got him back on the road to recovery. I helped him get his grades back up. He sometimes lived with Jason at mum and dad's house as his mum struggled from time to time, but that was becoming less frequent now.

"Well he can stay with us whenever," Dad reminded him.

Despite our parents ages, they had been lucky and seemed at least ten years younger than they actually were. Growing up in a family where your parents had such a big age gap wasn't as hard as people presumed it would be. My mother had always seemed older than she actually was and my father switched between acting his age and like a five year old. I smiled.

"I know dad," Jason replied rolling his eyes.

Dad laughed, "Well there is a real reason behind everyone being here today, so I think I'll hand it over to to the man of the hour."

My father gestured to Zac who smiled before getting up off his seat. I felt my heart flutter as he sank down onto one knee next to me.

"Oh my god!" I whispered cupping my mouth.

"Will you, Ella Ride, marry me?" Zac asked.

"Is this really happening?" I whispered in disbelief.

"Maybe this will convince you."

He pulled out a small diamond ring and held it up to me. I gasped as he reached for my left hand. I breathed deeply as I tried to compose myself.

"Yes!" I screeched, "Yes I'll marry you!"

I threw my arms tightly around him and kissed him passionately. We pulled away and he slid the ring on my finger. I admired it as it glistened in the light. I kissed him again.

"I'm so glad you asked me to marry you because the last thing I want is a bastard child," I continued.

"What?" He breathed.

"I'm pregnant!" I replied.

"What!" This came from my mother, "You mean I'm going to be a grandmother at forty-two?"

"Don't be so dramatic mum!" I laughed, "You were nineteen when you had me!"

She smiled, "I was only messing El! Besides...."

My mother hugged her stomach. She smiled at my father and I could have sworn he nearly fainted. It was Rory who broke the silence.

"No fucking way!" She exclaimed.

"Mum you're not...." Jason started

"Alex?" My father whispered.

My mother bit her lip, "I might not carry it to term. I'm only twelve weeks..."

"Why didn't you say something sooner?" David breathed, "Why didn't either of you say something sooner?"

I smiled, "I told Mary..."

"How long have you known?" Zac pressed.

"A month," I replied honestly.

"You told Mary and not me?" Zac continued.

I laughed, "I'm sowy!"

I showered him with soft kisses on his lips. I stroked his inner thigh with feather light touches which I knew would change his mood. He laughed and pulled away.

"I forgive you!" He murmured.

"I thought so!" I smiled.

"God GET A ROOM!" Rory shouted.

We all were laughing and shouting so loudly that we didn't even notice Jason had left the room. It was only when he grabbed his keys from the side did Lance get up and talk to him; they murmured to each other for a few moments before Jason ran out the room; his face puffy and tear stained.

"What's happened?" Dad asked.

"It's Bradley," Lance replied. He sighed, "he's in the hospital now. There was another suicide attempt."

"Oh god!" Mum gasped, "is he ok?"

"He's stable," Lance replied, "But for how long they don't know."