Chapter 6 - Jason

Fuck you Lance!

That was the thirteenth time I'd tried to call him today with no answer. I knew my mother was worried sick and my father would be pacing around in either the front room or their bedroom as he did when he was stressed. I had gone home briefly to shower, change and take Shannon back so she could sleep. When I had got there, I could feel the tension even before stepping through the door. That was when Aurora had got me up to speed on what was going on. Fear had ripped through me. Lance was the baby of the family and we didn't need this shit as well as what was happening with Bradley. What feared me most was the anger in my father's eyes. If Lance came home alive, I was sure my father would kill him.

I laid on my side opposite Bradley on the sofa that was in the room. I had the blanket around my hips and my arm angled under my head as I watched the minuscule movements of Bradley's breathing. I heard the clicking on Dr Watson's heels as she neared the room to check on Bradley's vitals. I smiled at the thought of him waking up to find his doctors being Dr Joanna Watson. He would be thrilled considering his love for Arthur Conan Doyle. I could imagine his laughter that I loved so much.

"Give me good news Dr Watson," I whispered to her as I sat up slightly.

She sighed, "No change yet Jason. Which is gratefully not bad news."

"But it's not good news either," I sighed.

She smiled sympathetically. Usually doctors would try to persuade visitors to leave but Dr Watson didn't. She almost understood how much he meant to me and how I couldn't leave. I did odd jobs around the ward to try to take my mind off Bradley, yet whatever I did I made sure I could still see him in case he came out the coma or he worsened.

"I see your sister was here," she gestured to my books.

I smiled feebly, "Yeah. She looks out for me."

"Good. Are your parents coming by?" She asked.

I leaned back into the sofa, "My dad is tomorrow but my mum won't. Bradley is like a son to her and she can't bear to see him like this. I don't blame her."

"You shouldn't blame yourself either," Dr Watson told me firmly.

"How can I not?" I asked harshly, "I was supposed to go around and see him. I was meant to be there with him. We were meant to be seeing a movie together..."

I broke off at the sound of my phone ringing on the table next to the sofa. I picked it up to see Aurora's face on the screen. I mouth an apology to Dr Watson before answering her call. Immediately I heard shouting and screaming in the background.

"I take it that Lance has come home?" I asked.

"How can you tell?" Rory replied sarcastically.

"Intelligence I guess," I laughed, "What happened?"

"He tried to sneak in about ten minutes ago through the front room window, not expecting dad to still be up watch TV," she explained.

"Fatal mistake," I snorted.

"Yeah, he was nearly knocked unconscious," Rory confirmed, "Dad may be getting on a bit but fucking hell he kicked Lance's arse."

"Ow!" I whispered.

"Yeah then mum came down, cursing as usual, and saw it was Lance. She pulled dad off and got Lance to his feet. After checking that dad hadn't beaten him too badly, she slapped him harder than I have ever seen," Rory paused, "I'm not gonna lie. I'm scared for Lance right now. Mum has been screaming at him for the past five minutes and, I'm not kidding when I say this, dad was literally holding her back when I snuck down there to see what's going on. Ella is freaking out."

"Ella's there?" I asked.

"Yeah," Rory sighed, "From what I gather Zac went back to the hospital and she was board of being on her own."

I sighed, "Yeah. That's rough."

"How's Brad?" Rory asked finally.

"No change," I replied

"That's good, I guess," Rory reassured, "means he's stable."

"Sometimes I hate your optimism!" I laughed.

"I know. It also means he's not coming out right now....but you have to stay optimistic!" She insisted.

"I know," I sighed.

"You need to get some rest!" Rory finally said.

I nodded, "Yeah! You too."

She snorted, "Unlikely! Ella and I will probably be up all night watching crap movies, in between the shouting match going on."

I smiled, "Yeah! Well try to sleep!"

"I will!" She laughed, "Love you bro."

"Love you too!"

I ended the call and put the phone back on the table. Dr Watson smiled reassuringly at me. I snorted. I knew she had heard my parents shouting in the background.

"It was my brother, Lance," I explained.

"Ohh. Missed curfew?" She guessed.

"By about five hours," I replied, "My parents are kinda strict when it comes to being that late. There is being late and there is sighing your own death warrant."

She snorted, "I'll let the emergency room know that he'll be coming in."

I laughed, "Yeah you better."

My laughter died and I was back to my now normal self that consisted mainly of misery as I thought of the emergency room and death. It made the situation of Bradley all the more real for me. I felt I tear roll down my cheek. I wiped it away harshly.

"I'm sorry," I muttered, "I'm not usually like this."

She smiled sympathetically, "It's ok Jason."

"It's just that he's not just my boyfriend he's my best friend and like a brother to me and..."

She sat down on the sofa next to me and hugged me. I sat crying into her uniform as I tried to compose myself. I hated feeling like this. I hated not knowing whether someone was going to die or live. At least if he died, we could all slowly move on. It was not knowing that killed me.

"He'll be ok Jason!" Dr Watson reassured, "I promise."

She pulled away and smiled weakly at me. I forced myself to return that smile, even if it was completely false.

"Thanks Doc," I snivelled.

"If you ever what to talk I'll be around," she told me.

The doctor smiled once more before she got up to leave the room. I stood up and slowly tiptoed over to Bradley, as if he were only asleep. I moved a lock of his soft copper hair off his forehead. I slowly bent over and planted a kiss on his forehead. I lingered there for a moment as if compelling him to awaken. Even though I knew it was hopeless, disappointment still crept in when I saw he was still in his coma.

I sighed, "I know you might not awaken and I know I should have said this when you....before you....before but I need to tell you know. Bradley, don't leave me because...because...well....I love you!"