Chapter 20 ~ Lost

"Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines."

-Robert H. Schuller

~

Third POV

Both souls felt empty, as good for nothing. They both felt like they no longer had anything to live for. Even the Raven felt that feeling, even though he had his whole family to rely on through tough times. The pain was still there, even though he apologized to the blonde. He still felt the pain of guilt, not knowing whether this really made the blonde stop suffering. He was worried. As were the blonde one. They stayed in their rooms all day long, now being the third day since they broke up. None of them would ever forget that moment. Naruto was always thinking of how he must have hurt Sasuke when he complied that it would be the best if they broke up. He loved him, more than anything else. Sometimes he regretted saying it, sometimes he sought after a desperate feeling of that it still was for the best.

At the third day, the blonde cried. In the evening when a nurse came to check up on him, he cried his heart out.  It was his usual nurse, who was called Shizune. As she had a close relation with the chief doctor, he received top skilled medical treatment. He grew attached to Shizune, letting her trying to sooth his nerves as he broke down.

"Don't worry. I'm sure time will solve it if you're just patient. If you were so close before, a small thing like that can't separate your bond forever."

Her voice was calm, as if she was completely sure about what she said. Naruto felt weak, as he cried like this in front of somebody. But the thing that made him feel even more weak, was the fact that he needed someone else to assure something for him. He had lost his faith in Sasuke. He realized that he no longer believed in his soulmate, and that was obviously a factor to why he felt like Sasuke deserved better.

He only nodded towards Shizune, as a sign that he listened to her. But she could see that his eyes didn't have that gleaming hope in them. She could see how he had given up. She could see how he was no longer able to convince himself that it would go well. His life had so many downfalls, that it was no longer any use to try and convince oneself.

"I miss him so much.. I can't stand the thought of never again being able to walk next to him. I only did all this for my own sake, to put out my own misery, but I only made it worse. I don't know how he feels about this. I'm not even sure about my own feelings about all this. I don't know of this is what I really wanted. I have no idea if I hurt him by saying those things back then. I've never felt so helpless in my life..."

The blonde cried out his speech between his tears, only to cry even more afterwards. Shizune only stood there, looking at him with sympathetic eyes. She could see how much he suffered. She knew that he was ready to do anything to turn back time, to avoid his mistake. But she too felt hopeless, not being able to do anything else than to try and calm him down with empty words. But it was all futile. Nothing else than a good reality could make him feel better. Nothing else than a turn for the better would make him see light in his life again.

Shizune walked out the room without saying anything. She couldn't do anything anyway, so try to comfort the blonde with an empty promise wasn't going to do any good for the blonde. An empty promise was the same as lying, and it would only hurt him to believe something that wasn't a sure thing.

~(*~*)~

"C'mon Sasuke! You need to say something! Do you really want to give up like that?! That love you two felt for each other for so long, just thrown away because you couldn't be a man and stand up for your own feelings! You're better than this and you know it, you're just too afraid to say what's in your heart. You know how he felt for you, and I think he's been through enough in his life already! He lost his parents, all for nothing. Don't let him lose you too, Sasuke! Show him that you care!"