twenty

"michael, do you know the answer to the question?"

the seventeen year old was taken back when his name was being called on. he quickly raised his head, adverting his eyes to meet luke's who stood in the front of the classroom, leaning his body weight onto his desk.

he knew the class, and his teacher, we're waiting for an answer that unfortunately, he didn't have. being in luke's class was always so distracting and he knew he shouldn't be using that as an excuse to not pay attention, but it true.

"can you repeat the question?" michael asked shyly, feeling like all eyes were on him and it was making him a bit on edge.

luke stood up to his full position, shoulders straight and head high, "please choose to pay attention in my class."

the rest of the class went by agonizingly slow. michael didn't expect for any of that to happen to him, especially coming from luke. he understood that the blonde had to treat him like every other student, but admittedly, he still felt a bit hurt by it. he didn't want to be like every other student to luke. he enjoyed being around the blonde more than anything.

when the day came to an end, everyone did their normal routine of packing up their belongings and leaving. michael took long on purpose, waiting for every person to be out of the room.

he began walking to the front of the room where luke was seated behind his desk. the two made eye contact, and luke spoke, "hey, can you stay back for a moment?" luke questions as he neatly piles up a stack of paper and places it in front of him.

expecting luke to ask that, michael nods. there is no one else in the room now, allowing the two to speak about whatever they would please. the dark haired boy kind of wished someone was still in the room so he could avoid talking about whatever it is that luke wanted to talk about for awhile longer.

"i didn't mean to put you on the spot like that," luke informed, feeling like he could have been a tad bit less harsh on michael.

"it's okay," michael weakly smiled.

"i know we have a bit of a different situation going on between us, but in class i still have to treat you like you're one of my students."

"i understand," michael gnawed down on his bottom lip, trying to get something to distract him from feeling a bit awkward, "the other day near the lake when we were talking, i didn't say much because it was all a bit overwhelming, but i've come to realize that i have feelings for you too."

"mike—"

"i know there can't be anything going on between us, but i wanted you to know that. you've been there for me these past few months more than anyone ever has in my lifetime. when we kissed it, i don't know, it felt right; i've never even kissed anyone else before," michael swallowed hard once he let that all out.

in a way, luke wished this wasn't all happening. it was already hard enough to have feelings for a person his age, but now he had feelings for a seventeen year old and he was now figuring out the feelings were mutual.

"i'm sorry i dragged you into all this," luke truly feels bad that he was the grown adult and he had to immaturely kiss his student which only resulted in them not being able to be together. michael should be having feelings for someone who he could be with, not his twenty-seven year old teacher.

michael rolled his eyes, "any two humans could have feelings for each other, so stop apologizing and except that fact that it's life and things like this happen."

and if luke ever thought that michael was a shy kid, he was just proven wrong. luke knew michael was right, he was so right, but he still couldn't help but feel guilty. it's how he was. he never wanted to hurt anyone.

"i should get going now," michael says quickly.

without knowing anything else to say, luke nods, "okay."

+ + +