nine

michael tiredly walked down the hard wooden stairs in his house. his bare feet tapped against the floors as he made his way into the kitchen where his mum had breakfast ready which consisted of eggs and toast, like most mornings.

"hi mum," he greeted, using the side of his fisted hands to rub his sleepy eyes.

"morning, mike," she responded briefly, looking over at her son who had just woken up. she deeply sighed, standing up out of her chair, "your hair is a mess, were you planning on going to school with it like that?"

michael scowled at his mum as she fixed his hair, "my hair is fine."

"you need a haircut, your hair is getting long. I'll make you an appointment after work," mrs. clifford informed, a small smile on her glossy lips, "i made sure not to schedule any work appointments the night you are getting your award so i can be there."

"i'm still not sure if i'm going to that," he informed.

"of course you are. like i said, it's-"

"it's a great achievement, i know," he cuts her off, his voice monotonous.

"just eat your breakfast and get ready for school before you are late," she commands, knowing that her son will end up going. she knew him all too well.

and even though he didn't want to admit it, michael knew he he would be going as well.

+ + +

it's short i know :-(