Sparring

Jace POV:
       As I finish up my morning training, Clary walks in. Wearing her usual workout clothing and a sweatshirt, my sweatshirt might I add, not that I mind.

"Look who's finally up." I taunt.

"Yeah yeah, ready to spar?"

"You sure? I've been training all morning."

"Is Jace Herondale afraid?" She mocks

"No, it's just tha..." I trail off into a gradual exhale. Clary took off sweatshirt revealing her crop top that shows off her toned abs and curves I had forgotten she had. "Ahhh..."

"......Just that you can't take your eyes off me?" She taunts, pulling me out of my daze.

"No." Great Jace, super smooth

"Alright" she says, clearly not convinced.

We start to spar and I try to take it easier on her than I would if I was against Alec. Of course, being the perceptive person that she is, notices.

"You're not taking it easy on me are you?" She inquires, while we pause for water.

"Clary, it's just that..."

"Just what?"

"I don't want to hurt you"

"You really think I haven't gotten hurt? I spar with Alec after all...." She trails off, realizing what she just said.

"Wait, what!?" Anger boils inside me "If he's hurting you I swear I'll kill him..." As I head towards the door she puts a hand on my chest, I try to ignore the sparks wherever she touches me.

"Jace, you know you can't do that. He's your parabatai." I start to calm down, she right.

"Clary, it's just, I'm supposed to protect people, you're no exception."

"I appreciate that, really, can we just get back to sparring?" She says, ending the conversation.

"Yes of course."

"And Jace—"

"Yes?"

"Never take it easy on me, I can handle myself."

"I know you can, it's just—"
*THUMP*
I am cut off by the brute force of Clary knocking me flat on my back.

"Maybe your the one that needs protecting" She taunts as I plant myself back on my feet. 

We continue like this for awhile, when suddenly, one of my hits knocks her down and she is lying on the floor, unmoving.

"Clary? Clary!" I immediately drop to her side and check her pulse.

Nothing.

I put my ear to her chest to listen for a heartbeat.

Silence

"No, no no no NOO!" I lift her into my arms in a sitting position and her eyes slowly open.

"Oh my angels, Clary! I'm so sorry I just—" the look she is giving me isn't remorse or fear, it's as if she is looking at me like  I'm a puzzle she's trying to figure out.

I'm about to say something when she leans in, I lean in as well and as our lips brush she gets closer to my ear and whispers, "Never let your opponent find your weak spot."  I pull back, confused and suddenly, she flips me over and I land flat on my back.

"You think you're pretty clever don't you?" I say as I push myself up. "C'mere, payback." I declare pulling her into my arms and bringing my lips to hers.

I may not be able to save her from everything, but when she's here, in my arms, I feel as if I can protect her from the world. Shadow and Mundane.

Thoughts? Comment feedback, it means the world to me.