Chapter Eighteen: Forbidden

Start from the beginning

“I know but…I mean, the Derek I knew wouldn’t have done what he did.” But even as I spoke the words, I knew what I was saying wasn’t true. I did know Derek better than anybody else – but that didn’t mean I wanted to admit that the Derek I fell in love with was capable of murder. It was easier to pretend that it had come out of left field, totally taken me by surprise, then to concede that Derek really was as scary and intimidating and badass as I knew he was. So I sucked in my breath and lied to my friend with as straight a face as I could manage.

“Yes he would! Derek’s still a werewolf, Chris, he’s still an Alpha. He’d do anything to protect you and make you happy, you have to know that. You have to know that that doesn’t stop at killing anybody who threatens you, even if they’re your family,” Dean protested, a look of incredulous disbelief now dominating his features. I shrugged, turning to leave as the bell sounded for fifth period.

             Dean’s words bounced around in my head for the rest of the day, battling against the arguments I’d been building up. I knew in my heart that he was right, but if I accepted the fact that Derek was that kind of guy…then what did that mean? I’d told him I loved him for him, every part of him, but did that include the ruthless murdering part? It wasn’t ruthless murder and you know that. Finally I decided I needed to talk to Derek face to face, so after school I hopped in my Jeep and drove over to his place, my hands trembling so badly I almost veered into the opposing lane of incoming traffic. I felt so turned around and lost that I could barely see straight. Jogging up the front steps lightly, I knocked hesitantly. It was so weird for me to be knocking seeing as I’d practically lived in this very house for the good part of a year.

“Who is i-Oh hey Chris,” Isaac said, surprise registering both on his face and in the shocked way he let me in. I stepped into the living room, surreptitiously looking around and making sure everything was in its right place; I still felt a connection to this room, even if I no longer had one to the owner.

“Uh, is Derek around?”

“Yeah, sure. Um, I’ll just go…get him then.” Isaac was acting more strange than usual around me, even in light of recent events. We’d stayed close friends through thick and thin…why was he now treating me as though I was a ticking time bomb? I nodded quickly, offering him a friendly smile that went unreciprocated as Isaac ducked into the kitchen and presumably into the basement. I could see no reason why Derek would just be hanging out in the kitchen, considering he couldn’t cook and he hated wasting time when he could be training or working out or…doing something else werewolfy. After nearly ten minutes, during which I could hear some yelling and a loud bang come from somewhere in the rest of the house, Isaac finally resurfaced with Derek on his tail. He was dressed casually in black sweatpants and a seemingly skin-tight black V-neck that accentuated his amazing physique and nearly made my mouth water.

“Hi Chris, what a nice surprise,” he rumbled in his deep, husky voice, and shivers ran down the back of my neck.  

“Hey. Um, could we talk…privately?”

“Now’s really not the best time, actually. I’m sorry to ask but could we have this talk another time? Maybe tomorrow?”

I didn’t know what I’d expected, but it sure wasn’t being turned away by Derek. Not that I’d thought he’d come running, desperate for a chance to talk to me, but I thought he’d at least listen to what I had to say. I knew that if I went home without at least telling him how I was feeling, I wouldn’t be able to sleep; it would be the only thing on my mind until tomorrow.

“No, I need to tell you this today. Now.”

“Oh, okay, is something wrong?” Derek asked worriedly, stepping closer to place one hand on my arm gently, and my skin burned under his touch. God what is wrong with me today? My body needs to get some self-control. But every nerve in my being was telling me, no screaming at me, to jump into Derek’s arms and take him up to his bedroom and…Oh my god. I blushed deeply at the naughty thoughts running rampant in my imagination, trying to squelch the image of Derek lying on top of me, kissing me in places that I now longed to be kissed in.