Prologue & Chapter 1

Prologue

You know...I actually thought I could have it all. Laugh. At least, that's what I was told.

Never in a milion years did I think I'd end up here, staring at this wretched place...but here I am. It's hard to think that I lost everything I was fighting for. I wish I could forget it all, just go back to the beginning and change the discussion back in that little cabin. Or to just not go to that party, that was also to blame. If I hadn't gone they'd still be here, I wouldn't have been at that cabin, and I'd never have been cursed.

Yes, right, I would rather to have never met the one person that changed my entire life just so I don't have to feel this way. Of course, then I would never have met him. After everything that happened to me he was the one that gave me purpose and now...well, now memory is my curse. I will always remember the pain I have caused for those around me. All the blood that's been spilt is now on my hands...all because I couldn't tell my best friend that he was wrong. I wish I could go back and...

Sadly I can't, that moment was what started all this for me.

Because, if it didn't, my story would probably consist of powder and fluff. And, for me, surviving this will be my greatest battle.

Who am I?

I'm Skylar.

Chapter 1

Standing at the entrance, I held my breath. I wasn't sure if I was ready for this just yet. I had been prepared for this moment my entire life by my own parents and the family etiquette trainer. This was the sort of thing all young girls dreamed of. Yet, walking through that set of doors terrified me.

What if they took one look at me and decided I wasn't good enough to stay? What would happen if they thought I wasn't pretty enough to be near them?

I looked down at the fine silk of my dress. The family seamstress, Roberta, a delightful little elf, had finished the masterpiece only moments before I had to put it on. I had fallen in love with it the very second she let me see it. The emerald hue cascaded from my shoulders, down my arms, past my waist, and flowed around my ankles. A black corset-like bodice was the only thing that seemed to visually disrupt it from a distance. Up close fine, but very intricate, designs graced the full skirt. In that small moment I got to see it in the mirror, I almost didn't recognize myself. It was a work of pure genius.

One of the Guards at the door cleared his throat and I looked over at him.

"You must go in ma'am or you must leave." he said, looking unsure for a moment.

"Sorry. I will enter." I said, swallowing as they opened the doors and I hesitantly stepped inside.

I walked over to the announcer and whispered my name to him. He proclaimed my presence and those inside turned to look at me. At first, nothing happened. They all just stared. I was just about to believe my worst imaginings when the young man at the bottom of the stair walked up toward me, bowed slightly, and held out his arm for me. I smiled and gave a slight bow before gingerly took his arm.

"You look beautiful tonight Skylar. Maybe that's why your parents gave you that name." I looked up to realize it was Fredrick, once a young boy in my village who'd been a close friend, was smiling as he walked me over toward the King and Queen.

I looked ahead again and tried to keep a straight face. It was imperative to making a good impression for the Royals. "I did not know you would be here." I said through my teeth, a trick to make it seem like I'd never even spoken.