Chapter 2: The School

7 minutes later the bus finally arrives at South Henderson High. The children were fascinated with school and "awed" at the first glimpse. South Henderson High was a 3-story high building. The school was made out of brick, the outside of the school had a garden with school name spelled in and a water fountain with the school mascot, standing right in the middle of it. There was a even a softball, soccer, and baseball field behind the school. The school itself had its own stadium for football and track. At the very top of the school, third floor had the swimming pool, the second floor had to basketball court, weight room, and four different restaurants (Taco Bell, Subway, Chick-Fil-A, and Burger King). The first floor was the main floor, of course, this floor had the volleyball court, front office and other needed offices for the student, parents, and faculty. The main entrance of South Henderson High was the most astonishing part about it. The entrance had two giant columns that held the school balcony. Between the balcony and the columns, was the principal's office. The principal had a glass window that covered a corner of the school. Amazed by beauty of the school, the children walked off the bus, dragging their jaws on the ground. Students ran up to one another to do a meet and greet.

Destiny and Gabriella walked off the bus together and started taking pictures in front of the school with new selfie stick that Destiny always kept around with her. These two girls were taking pictures like they were at DisneyLand. "I think those are enough memories for the time being, don't you think," said a familiar voice. The girls giggled and turned around, only to look upon a very cute and handsome face. Destiny shouted with glee, "DERRICK!!!" She jumped up into his arms and gave him the biggest hug that he ever had. Derrick laughs and says, "Oh shit, if you hug me any tighter, I won't be able to try out for football or basketball." Destiny smiles and lets Derrick go. Gabriella blushed and just waved at Derrick. Destiny and Derrick, both, burst out into laughter. "What's the matter Gabby, you look like you don't even know me anymore, after 6 years of being together as children," Derrick says walking toward Gabriella. He reaches his arms out and gives Gabriella a hug. Gabriella hugs Derrick back, however when she did hug him, she felt like she was hugging a teddy bear. She thought that he was the warmest thing she had ever touched. "You feel like a teddy bear, Derrick." Derrick and Gabriella both begin to laugh, then Derrick releases the hug and steps back. He looks at Gabriella for a minute, and he finally spoke, "Hey Gabriella, I know we had only know each other for a while but I was wondering if you wanted... to you know... go out with me?" Gabriella's face turns completely red and her eyes widen. "Hell yes, I'll go out with you," Gabriella said as she smiled with happiness. Destiny took out her phone recorded this little moment that Gabriella and Derrick had together.

For the past 6 years, Derrick had been trying to ask Gabriella out for the longest. No matter how hard he had tried, he was always to nervous just to even look at her or even be in the same room with her. Before Derrick had started hanging out with Andrew 5 years ago, he was the shyest boy that you have ever met. He was afraid to talk girls, scared to talk in front of crowds, afraid to go places on his own, and even became a teacher's pet to avoid the bullies at lunch and recess. 5 years later, Derrick became the most popular boy in the whole school. He became co-captain of the football team and starting quarterback in football. In basketball, he was center and shooting guard. After leading the team in 7 undefeated games in both sports, Derrick got both a basketball and football scholarship to three big name colleges: University of Florida, University of Alabama, and Texas A&M University. He worked hard to keep those schools wanting him and his academics improved to a GPA of 3.8. Even though he acted like he didn't care about school around his friends, in the classroom, Derrick was the class nerd.

Gabriella and Derrick held each other's hand and walked into the school. Destiny and Andrew both followed in behind them. The students walked in the school looking like they were kids in the world's largest candy store. Gabriella's eyes twinkled in the light of the chandelier. "This is the most beautiful thing that I have ever saw. Nothing can beat the majestic beauty of this school," Gabriella said aweing in the glory of her new school. Derrick looked up at the ceiling and smiled. "You know, you're acting just like me when I first came to this school. I wanted to live here and make it my own. I was going to name it, "The Brick Mansion." Gabriella just laughed, "Wow, you were young, Derrick. But I couldn't blame you, I would've wanted to live here too. I mean this shit is beautiful." The intercom came on over the school. "Good morning, students. Welcome to South Henderson High School. Our school motto here is: Working hand in hand with the South Henderson community to exceed academic and personal goals by linking learning to life in a supportive environment with high expectations for all stakeholders. Let's make it a great day and a wonderful school year. Have a great day students," said Principal Williams.

All the student had reported to the cafeteria to see the their homeroom classes. "Well it looks like that I have Mrs.Parker again, this year. I wonder if she missed me," Derrick said, giving people that "I Don't Care" look and attitude. He walked away putting his hands in his pockets. Derrick waited for Gabriella to find her class, but he had already found out for himself. Gabriella ran over to Derrick and jumped up with joy. After the first 3 minutes of excitement, Gabriella finally spoke, " I have Mr. Mason for my homeroom. Mr. Mason was my 5th grade teacher. He told me, when I was in his class one day, that he was moving to a high school in Tennessee. I'm so happy to have a teacher that I know!" Derrick loved to see Gabriella when she was happy and excited about something. "I'll walk you over to his classroom when you're ready to go, babe," Derrick said, reaching out his hand for Gabriella's. Destiny and Andrew decide to stay back for a little while longer to mingle with some old friends. As Derrick and Gabriella walk down the hallway, they look around and notice how large the classrooms are and the teachers that they will have. After walking down 2 hallways, they finally made it to Mr. Mason's class. Gabriella walked into the classroom and froze. Derrick saw that something was wrong and walked over to her. "What's the matter, Gabby?" Gabriella still stood there and didn't say a word. "Gabby, I need you to talk to me. What's --" "This isn't him. This isn't my teacher," Gabriella said in disappointment. She asked the man sitting in the desk, "Do you know where Mr. Mason is? I was looking for him. I haven't seen him in a while." The man looked up and answered her, "Oh no, I'm not the teacher here. I'm just substituting for him, just for a little while. He should be back in about 10 minutes." The frown on Gabriella's face turned into a gigantic smile and it seemed like it would never go away.