Lessons

As I woke up I laid in my own bed at home.

I sat down on it and looked at my cell phone. It was Saturday afternoon now, I had slept for a whole day. What kind of pills did they give me?

With another look at my phone I realized I had 8 unanswered calls and 10 messages.

Oh, dammit! I had forgotten to call Alissa, after she told me to call the next day. She had called me 3 times since then, and 3 more times since yesterday.

I presume she had called at home here since I hadn't answered cell phone calls and my parents had told her about my little accident.

All the other calls and messages were sent by Peter, MJ, Harry and some other friends from high school. I didn't even read them.

I sighed and laid back down on my pillow. I had the feeling I was still tired, after sleeping for 24 hours. But as soon as I got up to get something to drink I felt pretty energetic.

"You're up? Fine, how're you feeling, honey?", my mum said.

"I'm good, pretty good! Where's dad?", I asked after I had drunk one whole bottle of water.

"He's over at May's, her microwave's not really working anymore..", she answered. "Would you mind going over and calling your dad? Dinner is ready, we'll eat a bit earlier than usually, your dad and I are going to the theatre this evening."

Did I hear the right thing? For the first time since we moved here I had the house to myself!

"No problem.", I said pokerfaced and went upstairs into the bathroom to change clothes. When I brushed my hair I unintentionally touched the bandage on my forehead and it fell off.

But there was no wound, there was normal, uninjured skin.

Oh right, I remember, I'm kind of having superpowers now. But not even Peter is inviolable..

I shook my head to make this thought leave my head and it kind of worked.

When I wanted to knock on Peter's door I heard children laughing in the garden, so I took the path next to the house that led me into it.

Before I could even see the 2 kids running around the garden, I heard an extremely loud bell ring in my head and automatically threw my hands up.

There was a football flying directly onto my face. But before it could crash onto my forehead I caught it.

I didn't know how I did that, but I had reacted super-fast.

I was just standing there, staring at the football and wondering if this is what Peter calls the spider sense.

My arm didn't hurt anymore and I ripped off the bandage. What the hell?

"Hey Pete, who's that? Is that Joi?", the little girl asked. She must've been around ten years old.

"Yes she is.", said Peter smiling to the little girl. "Hey Joi, I see you're feeling better?", he asked.

I wanted to answer him but couldn't because he was already standing right in front of me and hugged me.

"I'm still so sorry, for the accident, and for that I decided something important like that for you..", he whispered.

Suddenly I had a goose flesh all over my body.

"N-no problem, I err.. I think I will be okay with it.", I answered, hoping he hadn't realized my hesitation.

"Hannah, Tommy, we'll go upstairs now, if you're hungry or thirsty just tell May, alright?", he said to the kids.