Chapter 20

".....And that's everything.  Did that satisfy you?"  I mutter bitterly after finishing my story.

Aunt Yumi looks at me with sad brown eyes, I look away.  I can't look at her.  Not when she's looking at me like that.

"Hitomi, why didn't you tell me sooner?  I could of helped you then."  She gestures to her pregnant belly.  "I can't do anything now."

I shake my head.  "It doesn't matter, it's too late now anyway."

Aunt Yumi places a hand on my shoulder comfortingly, but I shake it off.  I don't deserve the affection.

The woman sighs, running a hand through her blond hair.  "But there's one thing you forgot to tell me.  How did you become pregnant with Eri?"

No.

I shake my head. "I'm not going to talk about it."  I fight back tears, but some traitor drops spill down my cheeks anyway.

My Aunt soothes me and this time I accept it, even though the weight of everything still weighs heavily upon me.

"Okay."  She says quietly. "You don't have to tell me.  But can you tell me something truthfully?"

I hesitate, but then bob my head.  I owe her so much, I can at least do this for her.

"The pure blood that attacked your family is the same one Kaien and you are after, isn't it?"
I take a deep breath and look her in the eye. "Yes."  I pause for a moment.  "His name is Vasile Brandeis."

Aunt Yumi nods, looking even sadder than before. "I figured as much. But this mission of yours isn't just to fulfill your vampire hunter duties is it? It's for vengeance."

"Yes." I say quietly. "I've tracked him for a long time." I force myself to stare into Aunt Yumi's eyes. "Vengeance is one of the only things I live for now. I need to show Vasile just how much he killed me when he slaughtered my parents....and what he did to Sweet. The only way to do that is to inflict that same pain on him, even if it will never amount to what he did to me."

Aunt Yumi doesn't seem surprised by the harshness of my tone or the determination in my voice. "Hitomi. When I was your age all that time ago, I was much like you. I seeked justice on those who hurt me. It nearly destroyed me, but I was able to let it go. So should you. Don't do this, you have a daughter that loves you with all of her heart. Throw away your plans and live with me, raise your daughter and be with her like you should of been from the start. She needs you and you need her."

I nearly laugh at how insane it sounds. "There's no way." I shake my head rapidly. "I can't simply---."

"You won't let it go, even for Eri?" Aunt Yumi interrupts.

My breath catches in my throat. "I love Eri more than anything in this world, but she can't stop me. I have to do this."

"Does Kaien know?"

"Of course not." I snort. "He'd chain me to a pole in order to make sure I'm 'safe.' You aren't going to tell him are you?" I ask, eyeing her suspiciously.

"No, I won't." Aunt Yumi says. "Even though I disagree with your decisions, I won't interfere with your life unless you want me too."

"Thank you. I think Kaien and I should be going now, though." I want to get out of here. Aunt Yumi's pleading eyes are making me sick.

"No." She stops me before I can get up. "I have a feeling this vengeance of yours will all end very soon. Sooner than you think. But I don't know how it will end, so please," she implores, "spend the day with your daughter. It has been a long time since you've truly been able to spend time with her."