Chapter 9

Hello, I have a couple quick questions.  What do you guys think of the pace of this story?  Is it going too fast, too slow...? What more do you want to see in this story or what do you like?  More action, more humor, ect... Lastly, is there anything you don't like, anything I'm getting wrong? If you can, please answer in the comments:). Love you all!

~Ashlee💕

〰〰〰

What do you think you're doing?"

I look at the blond with a level gaze. "Leaving and your coming too.  We haven't been out investigating for two days now and it's still early enough to start."

Kaien looks at me incredulously. "But I only just patched you up thirty minutes ago!"

"I'm fine."

"Hitomi~!  He whines, running in front of me to block the door. "You're still hurt!"

"It was just a couple of scratches, nothing to worry about." I say. "Do you have the book and everything you need?"

"Yes, bu-"

I push past him and out the door, like a golden retriever he's at my heels.

"Hitomi!"

"Hmm?" I ask, stopping in the elevator.  Kaien stands beside me, frowning.

"Why are you doing this?"

I face the elevator doors rigidly as I speak. "What do you mean?"

"Why push yourself so hard?  Is it because you don't want to allow anymore families or hunters to be killed, is that why?"

"Yes." It's only a partial lie.

I don't wish anymore suffering on any other people, but it's more than that.  My real reason is far more selfish.

Kaien eyes me critically, but keeps quiet.

As soon as the elevator dings, signaling we can leave I'm out of the elevator and out the door.  Kaien has to jog after me to keep up.

"Alright, fine." Kaien says as he stops at the sidewalk with me as I hail a taxi. "We'll investigate."

"Of course we will.  Even before I was injured we planned to search around today. Just because of a couple injuries doesn't mean we should dash our plans."

Besides if I stay another day in that cramped apartment with this ditz I'll kill him and then myself.

"Yeah..."

I ignore the hesitation in his voice.  Even I can tell he's upset, visibly so.  However, he'll just have to deal with it.  I want to finish this.

A taxi pulls up beside us and we both get in. The worn leather seats are comfortable beneath us.

"Where to?" The driver asks, sounding bored.

Where to?

My mind blanks, so many families and hunters have been murdered.  Because of that there's many different places we could start at.  So, the question is exactly that.

Where to?

"Well?" The the driver asks, a bushy brow raised questioningly.

"It's in a more rural area, so it's hard to explain.  I'll give you the directions as you drive."  Kaien says.

I look at him curiously, surprised that he would try to help me.  Isn't he the one who didn't want to do this in the first place?  But then again it doesn't matter. Everything is running smoothly, that's all that counts.