Chapter Thirty-Six

It takes two hours for Oli and Daley to convince me to go home and come back in the morning. But I don't want to sit in our apartment worrying so we only stop by quickly and I take some stuff to stay over at Oli's. As soon as I've taken off my jacket and sat down on the sofa, he's already handing me a cup of tea. "I was thinking more like whiskey but okay" I grin. "No, that's the least thing you need right now. And don't worry about Daley, look how good he was feeling earlier." "It could just be the meds." "No, come on. You know him, right? And he can be a real whiney bitch so I think he was fine." I smile. "Let's hope you're right."

Netflix is Daley's and my most precious posession but unfortunately, Oli doesn't afford that kind of luxury so we turn on the TV and see what's on. We find a comedy show that I have already seen on Netflix with Daley but I don't listen anyway. I cuddle up to Oli, we share the occasional kiss but I can't really get into it since I'm too uneasy because of Daley. Oli obviously understands that and just keeps holding me, making the occasional joke and just letting me use him as a funny pillow.

I don't remember falling to sleep or moving off the couch but as I wake up in the morning and look around, I am in Oli's bed. I have no clue how I got there but I'm sure that he did not carry me here so I turn to Oli, awake and playing with an app on his phone. "Morning" I mumble. "How did I get here?" He laughs. "You fell asleep on the couch but it's really uncomfortable so I had to wake you up but I don't think you realised." I smile and yawn, covering my mouth with my hand. "Alright, alright. Has the hospital called? Did you hear my phone?" I ask. He shakes his head. I get out of bed and look for my phone near the sofa. There are no messages or calls, at least not from the hospital.

"I'm gonna take a shower" I announce as I come back to the bedroom but Oli reaches out his arm and grabs my hand, pulling me back to bed. "Why?" I whine but he just laughs and kisses me. "I'm sorry but can we chill for a moment?" I look at him. "I want to go back to the hospital." "If something was wrong, Helen would've called." I sigh and give in. "And what now then?" I ask. Oli just smirks and kisses me again. I smile on his lips and move a little closer to return the kiss, trying to relax at least for a minute.

After half an hour, we both get up and I grab my stuff and disappear into the bathroom. I take a shower and then get dressed, do my make up and my hair and brush my teeth. As I step back out of the bathroom, the whole flat smells like coffee and as soon as I enter the living room, Oli hands me a cup. "Thank you" I smile and he pats the space on the sofa beside him. "You don't need to worry about Daley, really. I bet he's fine or we already would've gotten a call." I sigh. "I guess you're right." He finishes his coffee, then takes off his shirt and makes his way into the bathroom as well. I turn on the TV and watch a little morning TV but then Oli is done and we leave.

We take the bus to the hospital and I almost run in to the reception desk once we're at our stop. "Good morning, how can I help you?" the nurse behind the desk asks with a smile. It's the same one that gave us the news about Daley waking up the previous day. "My name is Beverly Nicholls, I was already here yesterday to see my friend..." "Oh, yeah, I remember. I'm happy to say that he's gotten better and we think he'll make a full recovery. He's going to have to stay for a few more days though. He should be awake right now, you can go up and see him." I make my best effort to smile because she does mean well. "Thank you."

Oli follows me to the elevator and I press the number of the floor Daley's room is on. We stop on the first floor but then the elevator goes straight to our destination. I take the turn to the other hallway, knock but just step into the room. "Bev, calm down" Oli laughs behind me. "Hey!" Daley exclaims but starts coughing instantly. "That was too loud" Helen says and takes his hand. "How are you?" I ask and sit down on a chair next to his bed. "I'm good, better they said and looks like I can get out of here next week." I get up and hug him carefully. "I'm so glad you're okay, I don't know what I would do without you" I say, not loud enough for Helen or Oli to hear. When I want to pull back, Daley wraps his arms around me and hugs me as tightly as his injuries allow him and I laugh. "I love you too." He grins as I sit back down.

We all talk for a little while until the nurse steps in and tells us to go, especially Helen because she stayed over night. We accept that Daley needs some rest so we leave again and promise to come back the next day. As we exit the hospital, Oli grabs my hand and pulls me into the opposite direction of the bus station. "Where do you think you're going, sweetheart?" I ask. He laughs. "I've got a surprise, come on." I raise an eyebrow. "I'm not a huge fan of those." "What? Surprises? How can't you be?" "If you've got a surprise, don't tell me before, it's no surprise then and it's just gonna bug me because there's something I don't know." He laughs. "Okay. Noted. But for now you'll just have to live with it."

We take another bus to another part of the city that I personally have never been to and then we get off in a sort of green area, walk for a bit until I hear people shouting and laughing and then spot where we are. My lips curl into a smile and I stop, looking up at Oli. He grins. "Surprise." "Paintball? Really? That's awesome! I've never done that!" His eyes widen. "You haven't?" I shake my head. "No but I always wanted to. This is amazing, how'd you get the idea?" "Well, I had it a while ago and I figured now's the perfect time because you need some distraction to take your thoughts off your worries about Daley. And I know that work and the whole MB thing have been stressing you too and I just thought it might be fun." I let go of his hand and hug him tightly, kissing his cheek. As I draw away, he wraps his arms around me and kisses me. I kiss him back, running my fingers through his hair.

"So, are you ready?" he asks and holds out his hand once we're off cloud nine again. I laugh and grab his hand. "I sure am."