Chapter Three

"I'm going out into town to see Wesley" I announce, grabbing my cup to fill it up with the fresh coffee I've brewed.

Daley raises an eyebrow, looking back at me over his shoulder. "Is his hot friend Ingrid still around?"

I shake my head, rolling my eyes. "You should accept she's not interested in you, Romeo."

He rolles his eyes right back at me, a grin spreading across his face. "That, Beverly, does not make sense."

"It does, you can be absolutely dreadful."

Another roll of his eyes, and he focuses back on his laptop.

"That's right, you should be working" I scold him, down the rest of the coffee, then head to the door.

"Yes, mother." He salutes me without turning around this time and I'm out the door, jog down the stairs and join the now bearable crowd on the pavement, making my way into town.

As soon as I reach the town square, I spot Wesley and some of his mates hanging out by the same old fountain on the side. I fumble for my phone in my pocket to text Daley that Ingrid is in fact not there as I cross the square, not that it would make a difference.

"Yo, it's my girl, Bev!" Wesley calls as soon as he sees me, shooting up and jogging towards me, pulling me into a hug.

"Hey, Wes, what's up?"

"Just chillin', been writin', tell me 'bout your first day, eh?" He asks, his eyes wide with excitement and he adjusts his baseball hat, leading be back to the others.

"Oh, it was great, had absolutely no reason to worry."

He flashes me his perfect smile, then nods to the others. "You know Price and Gia, this is Myca, Myca - Bev."

I nod to them, smiling, then turn back to Wes who still isn't quite satisfied with my report. "My students seem alright, teachers seem to slowly get used to me, slowly however, but it's gradual progress..."

Wes laughs, shaking his head. "Gettin' used to you? Anyone who meets you's gotta like you straight away, I mean, come on, who needs getting' used to you?"

"Elderly teachers, very hot young teachers-..."

"Ahh" he says, waving it off in dramatic fashion. "I say, screw 'em, Bev."

I shake my head, unable to contain my laughter now. "I'm not letting it affect me."

"Good, good, that's how it should be" Wes nods. "How's Daley?"

"Writer's block." I roll my eyes. "Nothing he won't handle though, I guess."

"Right, oh, hey, you missed a show earlier, Bev."

"Are you here on the weekend? Or tonight?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, girl, we'll do one for you right now. Guys?"

That's how I met Wes. Most of the time, him and his friends make music in town square, and they're not your average street musicians, they've become part of people's routine, they do something different every day. The day I won twenty pounds in the lottery, their music had improved my shitty day so much that I dropped the twenty in Wes' hat. He'd then walked up to me when I'd left, asking me if I was sure if I wanted to give that much, if it was because of the music or because I thought they needed in and lived in the street, telling me they didn't. I'd told him then that I loved their music so much, that it wasn't the first time it'd made my day and since then, I've been coming down to see them whenever I could, had gone for coffee with him, walked so far out of town to just show each other a new record shop that opened, surprised how little a chubby white girl's pop taste in music clashed with the handsome black hip hop and rock fan's.

After they've played and completely blown me away once more, earned some money from people passing by, Wes puts his guitar down, grabs his bag and gets up, swinging his arm around my shoulders. "I'll treat you to pizza" he announces. "Anybody wanna come?"

Myca and Price announce they're gonna play some more, Gia goes to pick up her sister from school so Wes and I walk around the block by ourselves, making our way to his favourite pizza place.

"Don't you dare spend the money you guys just earned on my pizza addiction" I scold him, but he shushes me, shaking his head, making me laugh at the goofy face he pulls.

"Nobody tell me chivalry is dead, hell no" he laughs, pushing the door open for me.

"You're living proof it's not, Wes" I grin, sitting down by the window and leaning back in my chair, smiling at the waitress when she only takes one look at Wes to know what we're orderning.

"Imagine that being your job" he sighs dramatically when she's out of earshot.

"I used to wait tables, get off your high horse" I laugh, rolling my eyes at him even though I know he's only joking.

"Excuse me, I went to college." He takes off his hat and whips his non-existent hair back.

"I know, and now what're you doing with that degree?" I tease, raising my eyebrows jokingly.

He flattens his hands as if to draw an imaginary rainbow from in front of his face down to the sides, wiggling his eyebrows at me, his perfect grin wide and toothy, his voice a higher sing-song pitch. "Chasing the dream."

The pizza comes and only realise then I've been starving, the cheese melting on my tongue a welcome cure.

"So, tell me about this asshole teacher then? Does he think he's better than you? Can I kick his skinny ass?"

I bite my lip, giving a shake of my head. "I'd rather you don't" I state, even though I'm well-aware that Wes is less violent than freshly-manicured Daley. "It's just gonna be hard having him around, I suspect he's alrady chatting shit behind my back, and I think I know just the teachers he's doing it with."

"If only he knew."

I raise an eyebrow. "If only he know what?"

He grins. "Anything. If only he knew something at all, I hate those kinds of clueless bullies, you know?"

"You're right, but there's really nothing I can do. We're not in fourth grade, I don't fancy him."

"Oh, please tell me you were never that girl head over heels for the douchey jock."

"Fortunately not" I confirm, laughing. "I can rise above this jerk too, he just gives me a look every time he sees me, but I can handle it."

"I'm here when the time to kick his ass has come."

I lick my lips, taking another bite from my pizza. "You'll be the first to know."

I come back home in a strongcase of déjà vu. Dropping my bag on the sofa, I go to turn off the obnoxiously loud music, Daley giving me a look of complete and utter shock.

"You just scared the shit out of me, Bev."

I shrug, unimpressed because he's traumatised half the house's occupants. "Sorry."

"Have you had dinner?"

"Yeah, but if you're ordering Chinese I won't say no to some egg rolls."

He stretches out his arm and points at me, then gives me a wink. "You got it, babe" he says, the phone already at his ear, the number of his favourite Chinese place on speed dial.

When I return from the bathroom, dressed in my pajams, Daley has changed as well and is awaiting me at the kitchen table, his dinner as well as our next three meals for the following day spread out in front of him and I take my seat, claiming my egg rolls and the bottle of Dr. Pepper I know he ordered just because he loves me. As I said, it's really not hard to live with him, which is why his favourite pizza is waiting for him in the fridge to be eaten the next day. "Your fortune cookie" he says, sliding the shiny silver package over to me, then cracking open his can of Coke Zero, lifting it to meet the plastic of my own drink, the sound rather unsatisfying. "To you and your new job, Bev."