Chapter Eleven

It takes a week and a half. A week and a half until it becomes frustratingly clear that there is no other option but to pitch our idea to Rita's brother. As little as I expected it, it happens overnight. One influencial instagram user shared our link and made sure it spreads all over social media without Melanie or me moving a finger. And now the chatroom we've created is full, we have to hire a more professional web-creator. Melanie and I are not enough to answer the calls we get quick enough, and any other deal with advertising would drag out too long, would lead to people leaving again before we've really started and risen to the site's full potential. We know we need to take this chance. 

The teenagers already using the site are mostly understanding, they believe in our concept, they want the site to operate properly. It warms my heart to see how passionate they are, how they try to help, and we've received contacts of programmers and more social media influencers. But in order to start hiring people to help with the hotline and moderate the chats, to organise meetings eventually, we need money quickly, we can't possibly afford any of it without some financial support, not with Melanie and me having to focus on school alongside it all. To organise meetings that teenagers have access to, it's not only going to require financial support either, someone with business experienceis going to be needed as well. 

So I told her about Rita's brother. She wasn't thrilled taking the easy way out, but there's also nothing she wants less than to let those kids down that have already accepted us as people who want to help. The site is on high demand, there is an overwhelming response, and we're as open and as transparent about it as we can, but at the end of the day - we want to be professional. It's not fair to just shut everything down and take things as slow as we intially expected. The time to act is now. 

And that's the reason I'm now standing in front of Mason Remford's office. I still haven't met Rita, but I'm about to meet her brother. I knock on the door the secretary pointed out to me and I can't help but wonder how a father tests his son's ability for business by giving him a company, a secretary, a whole business. 

"Come in." 

I push down the door handle and step inside the office. I usually regret the days I wear heels, but today is not one of those days, because I would feel extremly out of place. Not only because of the chic office with its bright colours and modern interior, because as out of place as Mason Remford looks in his suit, it also works incredibly well for him. Really well, as in, Daley would be jealous.

I have not met Rita yet, but I've seen photos, expected for her brother to look at least half as good but that was an understatement. He's about my age and I've rarely seen a man so good-looking. His entire family is rich, and beautiful. And none of them are ever going to understand the message Melanie and I stand for. But the priority are the kids that count on me and Melody, and our promise. 

As I step up to his desk, he rises from his chair and I notice his eyes grow wider for just the blink of a momemt, then he extends his hand to me and shakes mine. 

"I'm Beverly Nicholls." I smile politely, covering for the fact that I hate exposing my full name, but it doesn't come across quite as professional if I drop my nickname in this context. 

"Mason Remford." He gestures for me to sit down. 

I sink down in the chair on the opposite side of his desk, instantly placing my hands on the armrests of the chair to keep myself from fidgeting. 

"Friend of a friend of my sister?" 

"Yes." I give him a nod. "They told me you're looking for something to invest in." 

He nods right back at me. "That's correct. Rita's told me roughly about your business plan, I've had a look at the website. It looks promising. I've seen the statistics you e-mailed me and considering the short amount of time it's been operating, it's quite impressive."