Chapter 34

Nagising akong nasa infirmary na naman ako at nakahilata. Agad akong bumangon nang mabalik ako sa wisyo. Ang English exam!

"Hey, ayos ka na ba?"

Napatingin ako sa lalaking nagtanong. Si Raven.

"O-oo."

Nagmadali na akong lumabas sa infirmary para bumalik sa classroom ko. Anong oras na ba?

"You're very late, Ms. Duerre."

Nanigas ako sa kinatatayuan ko nang marinig ko ang boses ni Professor Castillo. Napansin kong wala na ang mga kaklase ko pati sina Maine at Karen. "S-s-sorry po, Professor."

"What's your valid reason? Professor Riviera reported to me that you just excused yourself to go to the comfort room, but then you never came back. I've been waiting for you for how many hours? Three hours, Ms. Duerre. I'm expecting a lot from you, but as far as I can see, you're not taking this seriously. Your quizzes, seatwork and recitations are very low. What should I do now? I mean, what are you going to do now? There's no hope for you."

Napayuko ako. Pinipigilan kong umiyak pero kasi nakakatakot siya.

"I'm talking to you, what are you going to do now?"

"H-hindi ko po alam Professor."

"Hindi mo alam? Ako, alam ko. I'll give you a five."

Naglakad na siya paalis sa harapan ko. Ano nang gagawin ko? Paano ko sasabihin kay papa na bagsak na ako?

"You can't do that to her, Mrs. Castillo."

Napalingon ako sa may pintuan.

"And who are you, mister, telling me what I can't do?"

"She was in the infirmary a while ago because she collapsed out of overfatigue and stress. That's what the nurse told me. She's in trauma because of her terrorizing English professor, who seriously gave her a hellish life. English is her weakness. It's not her fault that she can't understand you. Don't say that she has no hope because she's in hell already. So don't drag her to the deepest part of it; instead, help her get out of that place. You're a professor; aren't you supposed to do that? Why aren't you doing it?"

"That's not my job. And it's her problem now that she's late. I won't let her take the exam now since I do not know if the questionnaires may have been leaked."

"Then at least be kind to her."

Tumingin sa 'kin si Raven bago siya lumapit sa akin. "Let's go." Hinawakan niya ang braso ko, pero pinigilan ko siyang hilahin ako paalis. "No, I need to take the exams!"

"But your professor doesn't want to give you one, so let's go now! Pakikusapan ko ang dean namin na roon ka sa department namin mag-e-exam for Basic Communication 1."

Patuloy akong umiiling. Inalis ko ang kamay niya at saka ako humarap kay Professor Castillo. "Please, professor. Let me take the exam."

Muli ko na namang naalala si papa. "Please, Professor Castillo. I'm begging you." Lumuhod ako. "You can watch over me, so you can make sure that I am not cheating. Please, just this once. Let me take the exam."

Narinig ko siyang huminga nang malalim. "I don't know what kind of miracle happened now that you can understand and speak English."

Napanganga ako sa sinabi niya. O-oo nga 'no? Dahil ba 'to sa reviewer na ginawa ni Raven?

"Tumayo ka na riyan. I'll give you an hour to answer this test."

Pinunasan ko ang luha ko pero hindi ko mapigilang umiyak pa habang inaabot ko ang test paper. "Thank you, Professor."