Prolouge

"Ugh, not again," I murmured softly as my eyes fluttered open. I had woken up in the middle of the night yet again, for the fifth time in four days.

Even after rolling over in bed and counting faceless sheep, I had rendered it would be, for the fifth time in four days, absolutely impossible to fall back asleep. I sat up on the edge of my bed, rubbing my eyes with the palms of my hands.

"1:37..." I whispered out loud, standing up and walking towards the small dresser in the room. Ever since I had been staying with my friends Ibuki, Akane, Sonia, and Chiaki, who had all rented a giant cottage along a beach and practically begged me to come with them, it had been impossible for me to get a full night of sleep.  After putting on some shorts and a t-shirt over my tank top, I decided to wander along the beach for a little while.

When I made it to the front door, I slipped off my house slippers and decided to abandon shoes all together. I threw myself out the door, my skin making contact with the warm and muggy summer air. The hum of crickets filled my ears, but I persisted to make my way towards the beach.

Once my feet made contact with the cool sand, I was instantly able to let a sigh of relief escape my lungs. Here, I was somehow able to feel at ease, but I could not feel the same way while at the cottage. I trudged closer to the water, giggling as the freezing water tickled my feet. I crouched down, my hands feeling the moonlit sand for any type of shell.

Suddenly, a giant wave came from nowhere, knocking me off of my feet. I was pulled deep underwater, the salty water stinging my eyes. I had lost the ability to breathe, and my cries for help were turned into bubbles. Is this it? I wondered, desperately trying to pull myself to the surface. Suddenly, I felt faint, and I let the waves take me with them.