21☂ promise

And I need to take a pill to make this town feel okay

______
Newt
______

1 MONTH LATER

"Dear Newton,

We are sending this letter in deep regret. It has been 6 months since we last made contact with you, we had not planned to send any more letters until you were cured.
However circumstances have changed- we were contacted on news of your escape. We were aboard travelling at the time, you and those insane boys wrecked our home.
Also we were informed after the incident, that you have not been taking your prescribed mediation. For your entire programme.

We are extremely displeased by your behaviour, Newton. Due to these tragic events, we have concluded that if your attitude towards curing your disease does not improve- we will end your programme at The Glade and move you to another centre, one with much stricter rules and disciplines.

Finally, we plan to visit you in person soon. This will be when we discuss your transfer if you have not improved. If you have improved, we still have critical matters to discuss.

Sincerely,
Mother and Father"

My eyes scan over the last few words- before I uncontrollably slam the letter onto the table. A ripple of anger spreads a shudder thought the table.

Even when I was living with them, my parents never tolerated me.
They didn't care.
They just wanted an A grade son to carry on their name.

My eyes are only torn off the letter when I hear a thud.
I look up, dread instantly draining my mind. Gally slams down his breakfast tray onto my table, Clint and Jeff huddle behind him, like some kind of guards.

"Newt." He spits.

My expressions remains blank, I quickly snatch the letter from view and place it on my lap instead, not making eye contact.

"Don't ignore me, you slinthead." Gally hisses, leaning in closer.

Since I've been released from isolation, my routine has gone back to normal. However I now have a counsellor near me at all times, in case any of the other boys try and hurt me because of what happened with Minho.
I hope my counsellor is near right now.

"You killed Minho, didn't you?" Gally accuses, eating his cereal.

"You and that kid."

"Thomas. That's it."

"Where's he now, Newt?"

"In jail? He has killed  people."

"Guess you'll never see him again."

"Your boyfriend, Thomas."

I can't take it anymore.
"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" I scream, causing the whole hall to fall silent.

I jump down from my seat on the stool, and walk with urgency to my room, before anyone can follow me.
Soon after slamming the door behind me, my counsellor for the day knocks on the door in concern.

"Newt? What's going on? Let me in." He asks, relatively calm.

"Please. Leave me alone." I stutter, taking deep breaths.
"I just need a few minutes to calm down." I lie perfectly, my voice contrasting with everything else about me right now.

Tears sting my eyes, my throat feels like it's being gripped, closing up.

I need it, I need it.

My hands shake uncontrollably as I slide open the bottom drawer of the chest in my room.

Flimsily opening the small black brief case hidden in the back corner, I sniff at the pungent smell of some cologne bottle my parents bought me years ago.
I remove the tray with the bottle on, underneath revealing exactly what I needed.