Chapter Fifteen: Betrayal

Start from the beginning

“Chris…”

“Like they can sniff around a bit outside and suddenly they know everything about my dad? Um, they may be vampires but they aren’t psychics!”

“Actually, psychics tell the future-“

“Whatever! The point is, if my dad had died, I would have been notified, right? A phone call or something?”

“Chris there’s something I need to tell you and you might not like it but…I need you to hear it anyway,” Derek interrupted me, getting up to take my hand and seat me on the bed beside him. I took a deep breath, nodding as I prepared myself to hear some of Derek’s legendary wisdom; whenever I had a problem like this, he always managed to make me feel better about it, see clearly and calm my temper.

“Do you remember when I asked you to move in?” Derek started, clearing his throat and looking at me almost nervously. I nodded, wondering what that had to do with anything.

“Yeah, it was the day after my dad, uh, came to visit.”

“Right. And you told me what he did to you so I let you stay with me.”

“Yes, Derek, I know. I was there.”

“Of course, but um…do you remember what happened after that?”

“I ended up staying with you for longer. Look, Derek, if you’re not going to talk to me about my dad then-“

“No, just wait. Do you remember what happened before? Like that same day?”

“Um…I think I remember falling asleep and then you got back and asked me to move in. Oh and you got my stuff for me.”

“Yeah. Um…Chris, I’m not sure how to say this but I just want you to know that I love you so much and I only did what I did because I love you.”

“What’d you do, Derek?” I asked suspiciously, dread filling my uneasy stomach. I had a bad feeling about where this was going, and I prayed that Derek wasn’t going to say what I thought he was.

“Well, after you fell asleep, I was so mad about what you told me. I mean, your dad abusedyou for years and then had the nerve to show up and hurt you again? I just couldn’t handle it. So I, um, I went over to your house to get your stuff and have a talk with your dad.” Derek paused, looking down at our clasped hands. My breath was becoming shallow as I hoped beyond hope that this conversation wasn’t going where I dreaded it was.

“When I saw him, just sitting at the table drinking a beer as if he’d never done a harmful thing in his life…well I was furious. He should’ve had the decency to at least feel bad about what he did! And after that, um, my wolf kind of got the best of me and I…I turned.”

“You what?” I whispered, drawing my hand out of Derek’s and inching away from him. Please no…

“And I just couldn’t control my anger. I promise you, I thought I was doing the right thing-“

“What did you do?”

“I…I killed him, Chris.”

I sat there, stunned for just a moment before it sank in. Derek killed my dad. He murdered him. My father. Then I was on my feet, pointing a shaking hand at Derek as tears sprang into my eyes.

“What?” I cried, trying to pretend that none of this had happened. That Derek hadn’t just told me he’d killed my father. That my world hadn’t just come crashing down around me.

“Chris, I am so sorry and I’ve regretted it every day since.”

“But…but why…how could you…why didn’t you tell me? You waited until I was at my dad’s doorstep before telling me you killed him months ago? You let me come all the way to Chicago when you knew he wasn’t here? Were you just lying to me the whole time?”