Chapter 29

King Antonio Fairmore of Vrinian

IMPERIAL CITY, VRINIAN

"Your Majesty!" A ranger bursts through the doors of Antonio's study, surprising him at the sudden intrusion. He is out of breath but looks grievously serious. Antonio knows there is only one thing that could make someone act like this. "You have been betrayed."

"Rowley." Antonio guesses though he already knows. The ranger, whom Antonio has met a few times over the years, nods in answer. Hugo Wells is a ranger of top marks and highly skilled at many things.

"He leads the Emberhelm army and many others who are on his side, against Sarkin. They are on the move and have been using the cover of darkness." Hugo's tone is serious, befitting a ranger. "Callan was spotted, and I have sent rangers after her. I am beginning to believe that she may have been helped by someone just as equally deadly." Unknown to Logan, Antonio had dispatched Hugo to hunt down Callan, whatever it takes.

Now, Antonio is intrigued. "What evidence do you have to support that claim?"

"I saw Logan Digory, with my own eyes, traveling alongside Rowley Castian on my way here." Hugo hesitates, knowing Antonio was betrayed. "You don't know Logan like I do, and I know both Logan and Callan. They are two evil peas in the same pod."

"My suspicions are correct then." Antonio counters while taking a deep breath. Hugo stares with confusion. Since becoming king, he has studied the laws of not only his kingdom but all of them. Sarkin's laws of royalty ascension are different than other kingdoms. Sarkin can't be overthrown unless by a member of the Sarkin founder's bloodline. Elyas was believed to be the last until his murderous sister started reappearing. She can't become queen because she renounced all claim to the Sarkin throne when she left, and the only option left is to put her son on the throne. She can't, however, until Elyas is removed, and she can't do that by herself due to Elyas being well protected. She needs an army, Rowley's army. Callan Digory has made her brother look like a tyrant so that the realm wouldn't stand with him against Rowley.

However, there is one thing she wasn't counting on. If she thought Antonio wouldn't fight or would fight against Sarkin, she has made an error. Vrinian may go to war, but it won't be against Sarkin. He walks over to a rope and pulls it, signaling to the servants that he needs them. A few seconds pass before a male servant in his late teens enters. Antonio sends him directly for the general. "Give the signal. Vrinian goes to war against Rowley Castian." He commands once the general enters. There isn't a moment to wait; every second that ticks by, Rowley gets closer to Sarkin.

***

King Elyas Andry of Sarkin

IRON CITY, SARKIN

The doors to the Great Hall burst open to an exhausted Zircon, running full speed from guards directly behind him. Elyas stands quickly and motions for the guards to stop. If anything happens to Zircon, Marnie will never forgive him. It doesn't matter what his opinions are of her brother. He is still family. He glances at Nikolas to see he is just as surprised. They had barely begun getting to the bottom of his past, and Zircon had only left a few hours or so before. "What is it now?" Elyas questions, trying not to sound as annoyed as he really is.

Zircon points at him with a stern look. "I am doing this for my sister." He clarifies, and Elyas can tell he is at war with himself over it. Whatever it is must be urgent for him to act like this.

"Doing what?" Elyas shakes his head while trying to understand why he came back. Zircon should have been in Vrinian by now. Why turn around and come back?