Chapter 14

King Elyas Andry of Sarkin

IRON CITY, SARKIN

The Sarkin King feels miserable as he tries to patiently listen to his advisors. Every ruler needs advisors, for they are helpful with suggestions. His advisors seemed better at telling and forgetting their place. "The girl has been here for weeks now. Perhaps one of us should try to get through to her." Elyas is puzzled for a moment, wondering when Aquamarine's stay became diplomatic. He looks up, meeting the several faces looking back at him expectantly.

Something pulls at his heart, and he feels protective of Miss Argos. Cyrus had been right, in weeks prior, in revealing to him that he wasn't entirely in love with her, but Elyas knows that he cares deeply for her. He hates to think of what kind of methods his advisors are thinking. "You will not be interrogating my guest." He grinds out with a leveling stare.

One of the advisors steps forward towards Elyas, the ring-leader. "My King, the girl works as a servant for the Castian's." This isn't news to the Sarkin King. He knows enough about her now, and he knows she will never throw her family to the wolves. "She knows them, and her brother has killed more of your soldiers than anyone. Think of the information we could get."

The Sarkin King sits quietly while thinking. If he fires his advisors, nothing is stopping them from turning against him. They are sneaky and conniving, but he would rather have them where he can watch them than to have them stab him in the back. The same advisor starts to suggest ways of getting information out of Aquamarine and Elyas' anger spikes with protectiveness. He stands up quickly with a raised voice. "You will not touch her!" The advisors in the room cower back slightly. He stares each of them down until they break contact with him. "Hear me now. Miss Argos is a guest, not a prisoner of war. I don't care where she is from or her station in life. She is here because I want her here. Whether she holds information or not is not my business. I am not a king who uses people or picks through people's minds to find something useful. If any of you suggest interrogating my guest again, I will throw you into a cell so far below this castle that the world's core will roast you alive. Now leave."

It is too early in the morning to deal with his advisors, Elyas decides. As they leave, he sinks back down into his chair and places his face in his hands while mumbling his frustrations. The door opens, and he is about to tell whoever it is to leave until he hears Rena's voice. "You have a letter, Elyas." She holds it out to him when she reaches him, and he takes it, silently dreading whatever it is. He cracks the seal after recognizing Cyrus' family seal pressed into the wax.

Word has reached Emberhelm that Marnie is in your care. Be careful, Elyas. Plans are being made, but I do not know the details. I do, however, believe that they will wait and not attack immediately. They will wait until your guard is down. They will attack when you are the most vulnerable. One more note: if you are planning to keep her in your care, you should know that today is her birthday. She has never liked getting gifts; unless they are from Zircon. You could be an exception if you play your cards right. This is a difficult day for her since she can't be with her brother. I suggest you take her to the one place that means as much as her home. Stick to the skies and remember that the King of Sarkin is always welcome in all areas in Morith.

Your loyal friend, Cyrus

***

Sir Zircon Argos of Emberhelm, Vrinian

EMBERHELM, VRINIAN

The city has forgotten what day it is, and that is completely fine with Zircon. After so much commotion, he doesn't blame the citizens of Emberhelm for forgetting the birth of the triplets. They had once rejoiced and held a festival in their honor. Perhaps they haven't forgotten. Perhaps they tip-toe around him in fear of upsetting him. Still, he doesn't much care. He doesn't feel like celebrating anyway, not without Marnie.