Chapter 13

"Our business is no concern of Elves" daddy hissed.

"For goodness sake, Thorin, show him the map" Gandalf argued. Seriously they always argue like an old married couple.

"It is the legacy of my people. It is mine to protect, as are its secrets" daddy said.

"Save me from the stubborness of Dwarves. Your bride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few in middle earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond." Gandlaf argued back.

"Thorin, no" Uncle Balin tried to make him stop but daddy gave it to Lord Elrond.

"Erebor. What is your interest in this map?" Lord Elrond asked.

"It's mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artifact sometimes contains hidden text. You still read ancient dwarvish, do you not?" Gandalf asked.

Lord Elrond said something in Elvish. "Moon runes? Of course. An easy thing to miss" Gandalf said.

"Well, in this case, that is true. Moon runes can only be read by the loght of a moon of the same shape and season as the day on which they were written." Lord Elrond said.

"Can you read them?" Daddy asked.

Lord Elrond took us to a place under a waterfall. It was amazing.

"These runes were written on a midsummer's eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly 200 years ago. It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield. The same moon shines upon us tonight" Lord Elrond explained.

When the moon shone. Writings showed in the map.

"Stand by the gray stone
When the thrush knocks
And the setting sun with the last light of Durin's day
Will shine upon the keyhole" Lord Elrond read the map.

"Durin's day?" Bilbo asked.

"It is the start of the Dwarves new yeas, when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter apear in the sky together" I explained.

"This is ill news. Summer is passing. Durin's day will soon be upon us" daddy said.

"We still have time." Uncle Balin said.

"Time? For what?" I asked.

"To find the entrance. We have to be standing in exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. The, and only then, can the door be opened." Uncle Balin said.

"So this is your purpose, to enter the mountain?" Lord Elrond asked.

"What of it?" Daddy asked.

"There are some who would not deem it wise." Lord Elrond said.

"What do you mean?" Gandalf asked.

"You are not the only guardian to stand watch over Middle earth" Lord Elrond said and walked away.

Me and the dwarves sat in the one of the rooms. We decided to leave early in the morning without waiting for Gandalf atleast we will get away from Rivendell so they won't stop us.