Apple Pie and Awkward Small Talk

A/n- Wow this story is getting long. Thanks for reading, please don't give up on my crappy writing now! Comment if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.
  😋Elizabethrose 

  When Cass and Dean get to English Class, there's no teacher in the room. Quickly, they grab two seats next to each other and exchange smiles. Since they're actually early for once, they pull out their phones and Cass tries to take a Dean's picture for his contacts. Dean ducks out of view, beneath his desk. "I didn't know you're camera shy." Cass chuckled.
"I'm not. After staying up until 12 talking to you last night, I just don't feel like it right now." Says Dean with a smile.
"Ya right. I'm sure you'd look great in any picture." Cass realized what he had said and blushed furiously. "Um... I mean.."
Dean interrupted him. "Cass... It's okay. Thank you for the compliment." He attempted a professional looking smile which lasted for about 2 seconds before he broke down into laughter. Cass sneakily snapped a picture of Dean laughing, and he couldn't help but fill with happiness at the sight of Dean's cute face.
"Not fair." Dean pretended to pout.
He playfully tried to wrestle the phone out of Cass's hands, but Cass held it just out of his reach.
"Gentlemen, I am warning you now, anyone who has their phone out won't keep it for very long." A harsh voice startled them out of their play fight. Cass put his phone back in his pocket and immediately straightened. "I'm very sorry, Ms." He glanced at his schedule, "....Hawkins. It won't happen again."
"It better not." Ms. Hawkins said with a disapproving sniff she walked up to her desk and handed out a worksheet on Shakespeare. For the next half an hour, she droned on and on about what a genius he was.
Dean's eyelids fluttered as he tried to keep himself awake. But he sat up when, with less than 10 minutes left in class, the teacher introduced an enormous project due at the end of the month.
"You will be working with a partner to create a poem, essay or presentation about the way Shakespeare portrays love in at least 3 of his plays compared to the modern idea of love." 
"Do you want to be partners?" Both boys asked each other at the same time.
"Sure." They both said, grinning at their synchronization.
They have some time before the bell rings, so they continue to talk, laugh, and joke around. Dean has never felt so comfortable, so at home. All his life, he's been moved from crappy motel to crappy motel, but now, here, with Cass, Dean finally feels at peace. When he first arrived at River Valley, he thought there was no use trying to make friends. But even though he's known Cass for less than 5 hours, he wishes he could stay longer, get to know him. But he can't take the chance that Cass would get hurt. He couldn't let that happen. He took another look at Cass's perfect features; his strong nose and smooth jawline. He couldn't lose that. He had to at least try.
"Dean... is something wrong?" Castiel's forehead wrinkles with concern.
"No, Castiel, nothing's wrong. But something is missing."
Hardly daring to breathe because this was exactly the scenario he daydreamed about, Cass whispered "And what would that be?"
Dean's reply was soft and short. "You, Cass."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean..." Dean says, trailing off and looking closely at Cass. Cass turns away, embarrassed because he's not used to being studied so intently. Dean reaches up and turns Cass's face back to him. Slowly, he brushes a stray lock of Cass's hair away from his face. "Castiel..." He says with careful deliberation, "Will you go on a date with me?"

Cass is stunned. Out of all of the impossible things that happen, he never imagined that he would ever be asked out by Dean Friggin' Winchester. He can't find the words to express how happy he is. But Dean misinterprets, mistaking his silence for a rejection. "I- it's okay if you don't. I-I didn't mean to make it awkward. We don't have to." Cass cuts in, beaming from ear to ear. "I'd love to. Where do you want to go?"
Dean lets out the breath he'd been holding. "I hadn't really expected to get this far, honestly. Do you have any preferences?"
"Well, from the short time that I've been in town, I hear there's a great coffee shop near Pine Street."
"Sounds great. I trust you. What time do you want me to pick you up?"
"Oh, you don't have to-"
"I do. What time?" Dean smiles at the thought of having Cass in his car.
"Maybe 4ish? I'll text you my address."
"Perfect. See you then."
They part ways, both of them doing a silent fist pump behind the others' back to celebrate their victory.

An hour before 4, Dean is panicking. What is he going to wear? What if Cass texted him the wrong address? What if Cass talks to Dean and thinks he's boring? There were so many things to worry about. Dean went out to the Impala to calm himself down. He cleared away the trash, sprayed some air freshener to make it smell good. Sam poked his head out of the house. "Watcha doin' Dean?"
"Just cleanin' the car, Sammy."
"You never do that. Where are you going?"
"None of your beeswax. How was your first day?"
"Well, aside from being annoyed by a stupid kid, the usual."
"What was his name? Do you need me to beat him up for you?"
"His name was Gabe, and I can fight my own battles, thanks. Also, changing the subject won't work. Do you have a daaate?" Sam says in a singsong voice.
"Shut up. I'm going out at 4 and I won't be back until late. Be good."
"I knew it! My brother has a 🎶daaate🎶!" Sam dances around, happy for Dean.
Dean heads back into the house for a quick shower and throws on a tight black tee shirt, jeans, his Dad's leather jacket and the necklace Sammy gave him Christmases ago. He even throws on a little cologne to make a good impression. This is his first official date in a while, usually he just made out with girls in the school's deserted stairways, but now that he's met Cass, he feels ashamed about how he treated them. This is his first date with a boy, and he's not sure of anything anymore. He checks his hair in the mirror, tries to smooth out the spikes, then gives up as they persistently stick up again. Dean heads out to the car and gets in. He is ready.
Meanwhile, at Cass's house, it is pure chaos. Cass is rushing around, trying to do five things at once. He's finishing his outfit, telling his family to lay off of him about the gay thing and to be nice to Dean so he isn't scared off. He finally decides on a white button down shirt and his new jeans and finishes changing just as the doorbell rings. He grabs his wallet and yells "he's here! Nobody embarrass me!" Then, he runs down the stairs before any of his siblings can get the door. "Hey, Dean." He says as he opens the door.
"Hi," Dean replies, "you look great, Cass."
Cass notices how Dean's shirt catches on to his muscled chest "So do you." He says, blushing.
"Would you like to come in?" Cass's mother yells from the kitchen, " We have pie!"
Cass mentally face palms. He told his mother that Dean loves pie, but he didn't think she'd actually make him one.
"Um, okay..." Dean steps over the threshold and sits on the couch.
"It's apple," says Cass's mother, setting a plate with a delicious looking slice of pie in front of Dean.
After Dean is finished devouring what must be the greatest slice of pie he's over had and making polite small talk with Cass's mother, who seems nice enough, he wipes his mouth and stands up. Well, um, thanks for the pie. It was really good."
"Oh, no problem. Come back anytime you like. Castiel doesn't have many friends."
Cass blushed even harder. "Okay Mom, we're going now. Bye." His mom waves as they walk down the path to dean's car.
"Finally.... Away from my family at last." Cass sighs contentedly.
"At least your family is around.
My dad is always working. Even now, he's out in another town, doing...." He trailed of, knowing that he couldn't reveal what his dad actually did to Cass.
They reached the car and Dean opened the door for Cass like a true gentleman. Cass loved the little things about Dean. The way he would grumble "sonofabitch" under his breath when he was frustrated, or how his forehead wrinkles when he concentrates. Cass told him how to get to the coffee shop, and they had around 5 seconds of awkward silence before they both burst out laughing
"Can I be honest with you, Cass?"
"Of course. What is it?"
"I've never been on a date with a boy before.... I always thought I was straight... Until now."
"I've always known I was different, and I've had one girlfriend in the past. But that didn't turn out well, even though I liked her. I think I'm pansexual, actually." Cass grins, just glad to be spending time with Dean. Even though he's known him less than a day, Cass feels like they've known each other since birth.
Dean is amazed. Even Sammy, his flesh-and-blood brother, doesn't understand him the way Cass does. Dean wants to make Cass happy any way he can. They arrive at the coffee shop, and they get out of the car. "Welcome to our first date." Says Dean, and he's never been happier.