Chapter 10: Bonfire Time (E)

Start from the beginning

“Next Monday.” I sighed as I tossed my head back in annoyance.

“That gives us one more weekend to be able to go to a party before your curfew goes back to a strict 8:00 PM.” Jessie snorted and I laughed dryly.

“I know; but I’ve got to go. I’m seeing Aunt Cherry out to her appointment. Then she has a date!” I giggled as my Aunt gave me an annoyed look. Hanging up, I slid the phone into my jeans pocket before I gave my Aunt a hug.

“I should be back around 6:30; then you could help me get ready?” She pleaded with a shining smile on her face. I nodded, shrugging as she kissed the top of my head before exiting the house, locking it behind her. I felt the guilt trickle through my body as I sighed loudly.

What was I doing? I never sneak out or even rebel, for the matter! Why was I doing it now? Is it because I’m under the influence of Easton? I raced upstairs in an attempt to watch my Aunt drive away.

“Hey Peeping Tom, this is for the other night!” I heard a familiar voice say along with the slamming of a window as I locked my door. I looked over to see the spray cans with rubber bands around the nozzles and a fog of the rancid air making its way towards me. I began coughing as I inhaled it accidentally. The unpleasant smell of gas and rotten eggs greeted me strongly, causing me to retch. I made my way towards the window and swung it open, pulling the rubber bands off of the cans and sticking my head out of the window.

I heard laughing as I saw Adrian doubled over, his laughter emanating through the closed windows.as I glared at him. He looked up and saw me before he doubled over again.

I couldn’t close my window because I’d suffocate; Instead, I plugged in my fan so it’ll blow the dirty air out and fresh air in. I decided to change my clothes and take another shower in the guest room. I’m scared that the air tainted the clothes I was wearing now.

I put on a navy blue shirt that said ‘Nerd’ in white letters and a pair of my many navy blue jeans. This was what I was planning to wear to the party but if my Aunt asks, I’m just going to say that I wanted to be warm. Sounds believable, right?

After crawling onto the couch with a book, I waited until I heard my Aunt’s car pulling up noisily into the driveway before I walked over to the door and opened it to greet her with a smile. She grinned widely before checking the mailbox and entering the house.

“Ready to help me get ready?” She smiled as she opened the door to the guest room she was staying in. It technically was her room; she is the only one who ever stays in this room. I simply nodded before she tore apart her closet.

---

Once she finished, she turned to me and pulled me into a warm hug.

“I’m so proud of you for not getting angry; when I was your age- I would’ve left the house." She said, smiling as I felt myself become encased in a thick layer of guilt. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I nodded and gave her a forced smile. “And do you think I could use your keys? I lost my house keys and I need to get inside later.” She asked as I nodded.

“They’re in the key tray at the top of the stairs, just take them.” I admitted. She nodded as we walked downstairs. She thanked me before grabbing them.

“It’s no problem.” I admitted before we walked downstairs and she got into her car as I waved her off. I sighed as I leaned against the door before I locked it and walked up the stairs. Hopefully my room was aired out.

I plugged in my straightener to let it heat up as I thumbed through my makeup case. It was small; I never wear makeup so its pointless to buy a ten gallon bucket for the supplies when I had only 10 beauty items tops. As I was applying mascara I heard a familiar noise- the sound of a window opening. I looked in my mirror towards the window where I saw Adrian staring at me with pure interest.