Chapter 10: Bonfire Time (E)

Chapter 10

“Are you coming to the party tonight?” Jessie nearly shouted as I pressed the phone to my ear. I blinked away whatever plans of sleep I had after this phone call. Instead I let out a low breath.

“No, when do I ever go?” I questioned, sitting up in my bed and letting out a silent yawn. I walked over to my closet and started thumbing through possible outfits. I grabbed dark sweatpants and a gray and red shirt as I began walking towards the dresser, grabbing my undergarments before heading towards the bathroom.

“You went last week and you had fun, right? I really don’t want to go to this one alone, please. It’s even going to be fancy! It’s like a bonfire. They’re even ordering an ice cream bar.” Jessie said, catching me by surprise at the last sentence.

My eyes widened in delight and I felt an indecisive smile come onto my face. She continued to encourage me. “All the different types of ice cream, dancing, the beautiful lake…” She said in a hypnotic voice. I was going to say ‘Yes’ until I heard lake. There was one problem: I couldn’t swim.

“I can’t swim,” I informed her. “You had me until you said ‘lake.’” I muttered unhappily.

“Well, you don’t have to swim! I mean- you could always put your feet in the water or avoid the lake all together.” Jessie countered. I rubbed my chin, humming lightly.

“I guess I’ll go…” I earned an excited squeal from Jessie.

“Thank God for Aunt Cherry. It starts at 9.” Jessie informed before hanging up. It's only 11 and I’ll start getting ready at 7. After showering and getting dressed, I dried my hair as I went downstairs in the mood for some breakfast.      

“I want breakfast.” I muttered as Aunt Cherry came into view.

“Breakfast passed. It’s 12:28, babe.” She laughed. I tossed a glare in her direction before I walked over to the freezer. I was in the mood for ice cream. That talk of the ice cream bar caused me to have a craving. My Aunt watched me with an amused look on her face.

“So, there’s a bonfire later.” I nodded casually. She shook her head.

“I’m sorry. But I’m not going to be home just in case something happens to you.” My Aunt apologized. I frowned slightly.

“When are you leaving?” I asked, frowning. She sighed as she turned to me.

“I have an appointment at 5 and I have a date at 8.” My Aunt said, smiling. I laughed.

“What are you doing on this date?” I giggled girlishly.

‘We’re seeing a movie and then we’re going to the dock; they’re having a carnival there.” My Aunt smiled widely. I nodded, slightly confused.

“But the dock is an hour drive.” I gave her a nervous look. She shrugged.

“Yeah, 2 hours for a movie, the hour drive there, we stay there for a while, the hour ride back. I know, but you’re older. You can be home alone until 2 or 3 right?” She asked.

“Yeah, or you might stay the night; if you know what I mean.” I winked, nudging her as I scooped the ice cream into a bowl. My parents would never allow this; eating ice cream for my first meal. Aunt Cherry let out a bark of laughter.

“Yeah, but no. And I’m sorry about the bonfire. Next week is my last weekend and then I have to go back.” She frowned. I furrowed my eyebrows. “But I’ll be seeing you soon; you know your parents and their trips.” 

I walked upstairs with my ice cream as I walked over and sat down on my bed, picking up the phone before I heard mumbling. I looked over to see Adrian mumbling as he stretched awake. When he stretched, his shirt went up and the bottom of his abs started to show. I gasped as he went to go take off his shirt. He turned to me and smiled as he rubbed his eyes.