Chapter 10: Bonfire Time (E)

Start from the beginning

“You’re such a Peeping Tom.” He muttered, smiling. Did he not forget what I did last night? Instead of reminding him, I just rolled my eyes.

“You’re the one changing with your window wide open.” I pointed to his window as I spooned another bite of chocolate ice cream into my mouth. I wasn’t a big fan of plain chocolate but it works.

“Are you eating ice cream?” I nodded. “I haven’t had ice cream in a very long time.”

“Why not? I mean, I’d offer you some- but I’m not that nice.” I ate another bite of the chocolate goodness. He smirked before telling me.

“I’m lactose intolerant.” He smiled as I crinkled my nose. I looked at my ice cream before putting it down. I’ve lost my appetite.

“I feel bad for you. There is going to be an ice cream bar at the bonfire tonight. Are you going?” I asked him and he groaned.

“That’s tonight?” He asked and I nodded. “I guess I’m going.” He muttered, shrugging. “Are you?” 

“I was but my Aunt said I can’t because she won’t be home.” I explained. He offered me a flat look.

“Why don’t you just sneak out?” He asked me. I bit my lip, shaking my head. I know that’s not a good idea.

“It’ll give you and Ethan some bonding time.” He muttered with a sour expression on his face. I gave him a flat look.           

“That’s a bad idea.” I bit my index finger’s nail. Why was my mind still contemplating the idea if it was automatically giving off warning signals?

“A little rebellion won’t hurt.” He shrugged carelessly. “Besides, you’ll most likely be home before her. And if not, I’ll help you up this contraption.” He pointed downwards to his makeshift ladder. I felt my hands begin to sweat at the thought of disobeying not only my parent’s orders but my Aunts. I nodded. His eyes lit up.

“So you’ll do it?” He asked and I nodded my head which was completely blank. He grinned.

“You’re such a bad influence.” I spoke as I let out a sigh.

“But you love me.” He winked and I rolled my eyes.

“But I love Ethan more,” I sneered and he glared at me. “I was kidding.”

I rolled my eyes as he closed his windows with a mocking look on his face. He closed his blinds and his curtains. I was sneaking out tonight; and technically I was sneaking out with Adrian Easton, the school’s bad boy.

---

As I walked downstairs with my phone in my hand, I swallowed the guilt that was making its way up. I already planned it out with Jessie. She knew that I was sneaking out but she would pretend to be upset so that I could prove to my Aunt that I wasn’t going.

“Hey, Jessie.” I spoke into the phone, a slight sadness to my tone.

“What’s up?” Jessie asked, faking enthusiasm. It was pretty obvious to me but I’m sure that my Aunt couldn’t hear her; at least I hope she couldn’t.

“About the bonfire, I can’t make it.” I announced, letting out a low breath as I sat on the couch which was diagonal from my Aunt.

“What? Why?” Jessie asked. At least she was sounding more realistic now.

“My Aunt isn’t going to be home and doesn’t feel safe with me leaving. But there’s always next weekend.” I shrugged.

“When do your parents get back?” She asked. This sounded like a question that was natural. We hadn’t gone over this in our script.